cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for roaming data even with roaming turned off

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was in the USA last month and got a text to say my roaming data had been capped at £40, I had turned off roaming on my new iPhone 5s before I travelled so I am curious how my new phone managed to download 40Mb of data over the network?
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144493 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions
With roaming off it makes no difference what other settings are enabled or disabled.
If you turned off data roaming before leaving the UK you need to ask O2 to investigate why you have been charged http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I would use the numbers to call rather than attempting to get any sense out of live chat though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you also turn off MOBILE DATA in the phones settings ?

A iPhone turns from wifi to mobile data connection when the screen goes to sleep as a battery saving feature.
Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 144493 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions
With roaming off it makes no difference what other settings are enabled or disabled.
If you turned off data roaming before leaving the UK you need to ask O2 to investigate why you have been charged http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I would use the numbers to call rather than attempting to get any sense out of live chat though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree, no point in guessing...the best option is 202 and in the end if you still feel that the charge shouldnt be on there then they can request a network investigation. Hope this helps slight_smile

Message 4 of 8

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Something is wrong. If you turned off data roaming BEFORE you left the UK then query it with customer service. You do need to speak with them though. Chat can't help you with this unless you go to the complaints page and initiate chat from there. Normally you would get through to a UK adviser this way. It worked that way for me going down this route but it's pot luck. Speak if possible to customer service. 

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a thought. Did you turn your phone off completely at any point (or run out of battery)? If you did could mobile data have been turned back on when you turned the handset back on?
Message 6 of 8

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Just a thought. Did you turn your phone off completely at any point (or run out of battery)? If you did could mobile data have been turned back on when you turned the handset back on?

Good point Nick. 

Just tried that and Mobile Data was still disabled in the settings. 

Message 8 of 8