cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing new TMobile phone to O2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have a brand new TMobile PAYG phone and thought that I could put one of my 4 pack free O2 SIM in instead of the TMobile SIM supplied. When I put the O2 SIM in I am told it is the wrong SIM so I am guessing it is somehow locked to TMobile. Can I change this anyway ?

Thanks
Matt
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
PAYG phones are invariably locked to the network they were issued on.

Try asking your local phone shop, but they will charge to unlock it.

Or sell it and get an O2 phone.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I have a brand new TMobile PAYG phone and thought that I could put one of my 4 pack free O2 SIM in instead of the TMobile SIM supplied. When I put the O2 SIM in I am told it is the wrong SIM so I am guessing it is somehow locked to TMobile. Can I change this anyway ?
Thanks
Matt

Not sure I follow this. Why did you buy a T-Mobile PAYG phone, if you wanted to use am o2 SIM? Surely you knew these wouldn't be compatible?

If the firmware is branded too then even if you get it unlocked it woon't get rid of the branding.

As perksie said, your local unlocker may unlock it but there's still no guarantee all the features will work.

Your best option is to buy an o2 phone which you can be certain will work with your SIM or just get a T-Mobile SIM to work with the one you bought.

SV
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your replies.

I bought the phone as a cheap Pay as you Go not realising that my wife had just got the 4 free O2 SIMS that are being advertised everywhere. She changed her contract phone to O2. Now I realise I should have bought an O2 phone because it is cheaper for us to be on the same network. I think it is just easier to sell it and buy an O2 PAYG.

Thanks for your help.

Matt
Message 4 of 5

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Glad to help. slight_smile
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 5