cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing a monthly contract.

Anonymous
Not applicable
My current 24mth o2 200 contract will run out March 2010. When recently browsing for a new phone I found a brilliant deal on a 3rd party site which included the o2 100 24mth (for selected handsets) and the new phone for reduced price.

Would I have to cancel the current contract and pay the remaining months on my contract to get this deal? Or due to me having my current contract for 15 mths (and being with o2 for many years) plus the fact this new contract is also on o2 and the is next tariff below the one I am currently on, would I be able to pay a reduced contract cancellation cost or no cost at all?

As you have probably guessed I am pretty confused about whether the contract cancellation is necessary or not.

Thanks in advance. slight_smile
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you've had your contract over 9 months you should be able to drop to a lower one. In your case this would be the o2 75 (£15/24m/£20/18m) .
I doubt you'd be able to the jump on the 100min bonus tariff tho, but you should definitely give it a shot by calling 202 (best plan advice)!
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the info!
Does anyone else know anything about the policies o2 has on this sort of thing or is the best advice just ring o2?
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
To be sure, yes, ring o2.

However, I think the previous poster meant you can drop to a lower tariff now, then pay off your remaining months at a lower tariff rate.

AFAIK only Carphone Warehouse can upgrade on o2's behalf, I did so with them, but you have to be on an o2 store tariff.

Third parties such as Mobiles.co.uk, Phones 4 U, Dialaphone etc have their own terms and conditions. The service they sell may be o2 but your contract is with them, so you'd have to finish your contract with o2 and then take a new one out with the third party.

That's to the best of my knowledge. Happy to be corrected.

SV
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

Only the network you are with can upgrade you early, otherwise you must complete your minimum contract term.

By the way, Mobiles.co.uk is part of The Carphone Warehouse, and (even before we were) any O2 contract mobile phone we sell comes with a contract to O2, not Mobiles.co.uk. There used to be many 'in-between' contract providers (such as SinglePoint on Vodafone) but these days they've mostly gone.

Ben
Mobiles.co.uk
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the info!
Does anyone else know anything about the policies o2 has on this sort of thing or is the best advice just ring o2?

If you ring O2, don't just ring once as you might not get what you expect. Be prepared to ring more than once as you will get different CS to take your calls. Each CS will react to situations differently. For starters, 16 months ago, I've managed to sign on a 12 months contract, £30 each month including VAT for a brand new Nokia E90. I've managed to do so after calling six O2 CS. Try your luck!
Message 6 of 6