cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I sell my contract phone (o2, iPhone XR)

NTaylor
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I just got my upgrade on my o2 contract, I got a big discount on the handset (the reason why I took it), but I am currently using my o2 sim in my work phone (iPhone XS), so I don’t really need a second device. Can I sell this on, on eBay or to CEX?)

I’ve never sold a contract handset before.

If the buyer gets the phone unblocked will o2 be notified? The phone is still in box unused/sealed

Thanks

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@NTaylor 

If it is a refresh contract, you must pay off the device plan before you can sell it.

O2 will know if a new owner unlocks it as it will have to be O2 that does the unlocking, if indeed it is locked at all, which in all likelihood, it won't be.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@NTaylor 

If it is a refresh contract, you must pay off the device plan before you can sell it.

O2 will know if a new owner unlocks it as it will have to be O2 that does the unlocking, if indeed it is locked at all, which in all likelihood, it won't be.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

NTaylor
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did take out the refresh plan when I got this phone.

My last o2 phone iPhone 6S, that wasn't locked to the network as I used a 3 Mobile sim for a short time. 

Is there any way to tell if the phone is locked without opening the box?

Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

99.9% unlocked as O2 haven't locked their phones for over 12 months now.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

No not really. We have been told that O2 no longer sell locked phones and haven't locked them for months now.

Message 5 of 13

NTaylor
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did have a feeling that it would be unlocked, as my last o2 phone wasn't locked.

Message 6 of 13

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
I've sold contract phones before. I once took out an iPhone on a contract (not with O2) and realised it was the worst decision I'd probably ever made and sold it on eBay so that I could buy the latest Samsung device at that time. As long as you carry on paying the money every month, I don't see what the problem is?
Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There isn't a huge problem other than the fact that you agree not to in the T&C's.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

We can't advise that it's ok as it is against the T&Cs and you sell it at your own risk.

Message 9 of 13

NTaylor
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, that's how I see it, if i carry on the monthly payments I should be all ok? 

Message 10 of 13