cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change my device and how does it work?

Fran_P
Level 1: Joiner
  • 17 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I'm a new pay monthly customer (came from Orange, after clearing my contract with them). I've had my Sony Xperia Z3 from O2 since 01/10/14, so I've had time to play with it, get a feel for it and so forth. Problem is, I'm not happy with it and would prefer a different device.

My main concern is that the Z3 feels too fragile (screen feels too plastic like) and I'm worried it's doomed if I was to accidently drop it. It's been close to falling off my table when I looked away as the device is really slippery.

Anyway, would I be eligible to change my device and how does it work? I came accross the returns form but that only seems to cover cancelling the whole contract, which I don't want to do. All I want to do is change my device.

Can anyone help me understand the process (that is assuming I'm eligible)?

Message 1 of 51
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

right, after having lots of fun reading the terms and conditions on the o2 website( I'm home and wont be back until Saturday) I found this:

16. Replacement of Device and Notice of Variation
16.1 If you change your Device during the Change of Mind Period or your Device is
replaced under Pay Monthly Mobile Agreement or Equipment Agreement (such as where for
example, the Device is faulty if you are entitled to a replacement under the Sale of Goods
Act 1979 but the same Device is not reasonably available) and the monthly Instalments and
Amount of Credit do not change, we may record this amendment by issuing a Notice of
Variation (“NOV”). The replacement Device will be at least equivalent to the original Device.
This Credit Agreement will be deemed to be amended accordingly. The NOV may be sent
via email or electronically and signed by you (including by electronic signature) before this
amendment takes effect.
16.2 For the avoidance of doubt, replacement of a Device under this clause 16 will not be a
disposal of a Device under clause 14 which would entitle us to require you to repay the full
Amount of Credit.

So first of all I need to make a correction, It was 7 days before, but and i think this is good news for you @Fran_P , it has changed back to 14 days in the last couple of months or so.

From what i read or understood from reading the number 16 of the refresh agreement u can exchange ur phone ,but because u exchange the handset u will need to sign a new credit agreement . Apologies for being boring and post being too long but here is yet another copy and paste to confirm this and to say that u can exchange it just once.

Our Change of Mind and our Returns & Repairs Policies

We understand that sometimes you may change your mind. That's why we have a 14-day Change of Mind period for all our customers. If you're not 100% happy with your purchase, here's what to do.

All of our customers have the right to cancel their contract within 14 days from when you sign up or when you get your sim and / or device (whichever one's later).

If you're a Refresh customer, you've the right to cancel your whole Refresh deal (both your Airtime Plan and Device Plan Credit Agreement) within those 14 days. Or you can change your device for another one but you can only do this once.

Hope this helps @Fran_P ! And @MI5 ur wishes are my command tongue

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You have a 7 cooling off period to swap the phone.

A similar thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/upgrade-change-of-mind/m-p/572992/highlight/true...

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/rewards/speed-to-refresh

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,question=ref(user):str(Mobile),t...

If your over that then you have a couple of options.

Put a case round it.

Sell it and buy another model.

Pay up the handset plan and upgrade again to another phone.

Speak to O2 via 202 to go over your available options
Message 2 of 51

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144962 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27810 Solutions
Unfortunately you have left it too late to swap.
The Z3 is an excellent and in much demand so you'll get a good price if you sell it now.
Use that money to pay off your device plan (if on refresh) and start a new contract with a different phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 51

Fran_P
  • 17 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just spoke to O2 using live chat, and I was told I'm still in my cooling off period, was the adviser I spoke to mistaken?

Message 4 of 51

MI5
  • 144962 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27810 Solutions
You have 7 days and today is the 8th so maybe you have until midnight tonight.
If so, tell the adviser to register it on your account that you wish to cancel and ask for a returns label to be emailed to you (and be thankful you just sneaked in) slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
Live chat are non uk outsourced callcentres who can get things muddled.

Ring uk O2 customer services via 202
Message 6 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
You simply need to call them and ask for prepaid post envelopes and tell them you want to return it as you are not happy about the phone. If you bought the phone from third party retailers like buymobiles, carphone, etc then you need to contact with them and as far as I know some of them do not accept return if customer save something in the phone, like a picture or text. And that is really silly, so I would say please do a factory reset before returning and do not save pictures or anything so they can show stupid reason just not to bother with return . But directly 02 will take it return even if you saved picture. Z3 is much better phone than HTC m8 and samsung s5, but I know peoples preference vary. You can even return to o2 shop. But if you bought the phone from o2 shop rather than web in that scenario It is depends on the shop what is their returns terms and conditions. Hope that answer the question 🙂
Message 7 of 51

MI5
  • 144962 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27810 Solutions
You only have until 9.00pm to call 202 so be quick but you may not get answered in time by now. Live chat is possibly your only option tonight as you will definitely be over your 7 days by tomorrow.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 51

Fran_P
  • 17 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Spoke to a different adviser who confirmed the request was registered to my account. I was told my contract would be cancelled when they receive the device and I was just have to open a new one, which is a bit of nuisance but oh well!

Message 9 of 51

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

As long as it's on the notes on the account. Messy but better to have a phone you are comfortable with slight_smile

Message 10 of 51