cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying 5G phone from Apple - getting 5G sim?

G2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I am planning to buy the iPhone 12 Pro from Apple directly. I currently have an older iPhone with a 4G sim, so in advance of getting the phone I have upgraded my tarrif and requested a 5G sim which is being shipped. I just had a few questions:

1. Will the 5G sim work in my current 4G iPhone until I get the new one?
  2. Will I need to do a SIM swap?
  3. Once the new iPhone arrives, will it just be a case of taking the new 5G sim out of my old phone and putting it in this one?
  4. I think I had a month left on my SIM only tarriff as it was for 12 months but it said I could upgrade early. Is there any penalty for upgrading to a new sim earlier?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@G2 

1 - Yes

2 - Yes Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

3 - Yes

4 - No

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@G2 

1 - Yes

2 - Yes Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

3 - Yes

4 - No

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

G2
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That's great thanks for confirming!

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
You're welcome

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

G2
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi again - sorry one more question. Will my billing date and allowance reset date stay the same with the new SIM or will the plan start when I first swap and use it?
Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@G2 

Your billing date will remain the same and your first bill will be adjusted to take into consideration the cost of both old and new tariffs, so may not be the same as subsequent bills depending on the two tariff costs.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6