cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken phone, no help from 02 and 11 months left on contract

Anonymous
Not applicable

i pay 2 phone bills, mine which is 45+ a month and my gfs' which is 25 a month, i recently dropped my xperia z1 smashed the screen, and now i cant use it at all, 02 want £250 off me to cancel my contract, and thats my only option....... i pay over 70 quid a month to 02 on phones, i smash 1 phone after being a customer for many years and the only help i can get is... pay us another 250 quid and we can refresh ur account to then be able to take out a new contract !!!! its a joke

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

Welcome to the Community.

There are two choices here, both of which will I'm afraid require expense on your part.

1. Have the handset repaired. You could use o2 repairs although they are not really recommended on here or go to the manufacturer. There are other shops in every town but again not necessarily recommended.

2. If you are on a refresh contract you can pay off your phone plan then you are free to buy a new phone and start a new contract.
2a. If not on refresh you could pay up your remaining months and upgrade to a new handset and 24 month contract. O2 give a 25% discount on the amount outstanding for you to achieve this.

Sadly it is not o2's responsibility to pay to repair a handset that you have dropped regardless of how much you spend monthly or have spent over the years. The same will apply to all of the networks.

There is a 3rd option, you could purchase a "cheap" handset, perhaps a refurbished handset which are almost nearly new to cover you for the remainder of your contract.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you considered any home contents insurance or bank accounts as some offer cover too.

Excess fees and T&C need to be checked.

You could buy a phone gpfrom places such as Cex To continue to use your O2 allowances.
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

Welcome to the Community.

There are two choices here, both of which will I'm afraid require expense on your part.

1. Have the handset repaired. You could use o2 repairs although they are not really recommended on here or go to the manufacturer. There are other shops in every town but again not necessarily recommended.

2. If you are on a refresh contract you can pay off your phone plan then you are free to buy a new phone and start a new contract.
2a. If not on refresh you could pay up your remaining months and upgrade to a new handset and 24 month contract. O2 give a 25% discount on the amount outstanding for you to achieve this.

Sadly it is not o2's responsibility to pay to repair a handset that you have dropped regardless of how much you spend monthly or have spent over the years. The same will apply to all of the networks.

There is a 3rd option, you could purchase a "cheap" handset, perhaps a refurbished handset which are almost nearly new to cover you for the remainder of your contract.
Message 3 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Do you have any insurance (home/bank accounts etc) as accidental damage is not a warranted area so would have to be paid for, unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
If ya got 02 insurance you can a replacement phone but you need to Report it with in 24Hrs or 72 Hrs
Message 5 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm not sure how you think O2 should help you for a phone you admittedly damaged yourself. Home or bank insurance are the options but maybe a relative has an old phone tucked away in a drawer somewhere that you could use?

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Completely agree with others here; it really isn't the networks fault you broke your screen and they shouldn't have to absorb the cost.

If you dont have any insurance, search for an independant phone repairer near you and they will likely fix the screen for around £50 however my be aware this will void any outstanding warranty.

Message 7 of 7