cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful 3G Signal - Help

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have 4 devices with o2 and have recently noticed that my signal has dropped a huge amount. The actually 3g coverage is awful now and is really hindering the usage of my iPhone and the Mobile Broadband connection.

Can anyone help me out here and tell me what my options are? surely if the signal has gradually gotten worst then does that constitute a breach of contract with o2 by them not providing a sustainable service?

Thanks
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
No breach of contract I'm afraid - it's all burried in the T&C's of all networks. There are loads of reasons that signal can get worse - for example a mast being decomissioned because of the site lease expiring.

First thing is to check there is not a fault gone unreported
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Im actually in the process of challenging the `terms and conditions` thing.

I agree with what you say, in the terms and conditions it covers all eventualitys and pretty much makes o2 unliable for anything that could ever go wrong. They could write in the terms and conditons that `from time to time we might take £500 out of your bank account for no reason` ... and becuase its in there.. it would make it ok!! It doesnt means its right! Look at the problems banks got into with their banking charges.. and that was in their terms and conditions!!

But, i belive that regardless of what it says, we are paying for a service and should get that service.. if its disrupted for an unreasonable amount of time ( maybe over a week or so) then in my opinion, that goes against anything that terms and conditions might cover. Any disruption or reduction of service should be sorted in `resonable ` time.

My challenge is based on the iphones extremly poor 3g reception. O2 claim that its because of all the users on the network and because terms and conditions say its ok, then they dont have to do anything about it. But ive written to otelo stating that if they are taking our money for a service we arent getting, they should at least be investing quickly OR reducing what we pay - i`ll let you know how it goes !

Im not a trouble maker looking to get compensation out of a company, just a strong beliver of getting the service i pay for and not letting big multi-national companies walk all over the people that pay their wages. If nobody complains, no service would improve.

Im done now... i need a drink! lol :mansurprised:
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
did you get any where with this.

I totally agree with you and you have made a very valid point!

be interested to know of any updates.

Thanks

Im actually in the process of challenging the `terms and conditions` thing.
I agree with what you say, in the terms and conditions it covers all eventualitys and pretty much makes o2 unliable for anything that could ever go wrong. They could write in the terms and conditons that `from time to time we might take £500 out of your bank account for no reason` ... and becuase its in there.. it would make it ok!! It doesnt means its right! Look at the problems banks got into with their banking charges.. and that was in their terms and conditions!!
But, i belive that regardless of what it says, we are paying for a service and should get that service.. if its disrupted for an unreasonable amount of time ( maybe over a week or so) then in my opinion, that goes against anything that terms and conditions might cover. Any disruption or reduction of service should be sorted in `resonable ` time.
My challenge is based on the iphones extremly poor 3g reception. O2 claim that its because of all the users on the network and because terms and conditions say its ok, then they dont have to do anything about it. But ive written to otelo stating that if they are taking our money for a service we arent getting, they should at least be investing quickly OR reducing what we pay - i`ll let you know how it goes !
Im not a trouble maker looking to get compensation out of a company, just a strong beliver of getting the service i pay for and not letting big multi-national companies walk all over the people that pay their wages. If nobody complains, no service would improve.
Im done now... i need a drink! lol :mansurprised:
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
noo not yet! still waiting for my phone call from them(02) - im going to give it 10 working days ( which is how long they said it would take to contact me)

otelo and ofcom said i needed to take the matter to o2 complaints reolution team first and get their response before they could look into the matter.If i dont hear from o2 within 10 working days i shall go back to otelo/ofcom and tell them they have failed to contact me within `resonable time` and they will take up the matter for me.

Im not sure me as a single person will be enough to get much done - but you never know. Really we all need to be doing this, and make o2 realise that we wont just sit back and take it.. but needless to say, as soon as i have any info i will let you know ! STAY TUNEDDD!! lol
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok - update in short...

* it says in the terms and conditions that 2g or 3g service might not always be avaiable - therefore i knew the risks before taking out my contract.

*because im in an area with trees and buildings, that also affects signal and data quality!! damn those buildings and trees!!

*o2 are aware of an issue in london and are trying to work out what to do!

*becuase people have their phones set on 3g when not using 3g, it takes up network space.... (most phones are 3g nowadays-who switches to 3g ONLY when needed)

I called them stating that i wasnt happy with the response and i feel cheated paying 35pounds a month for a service im not getting whilst o2 happily oversold the iphone and the 18month contracts that went with it in turn putting too much strain on the network... once again i got the `terms and conditions` response... it was a bit stale mate with neither side moving.

So - i have now reported my issues to otelo and will have to wait another 10days for a response from them...once again i`ll keep you updated..not sure im gonna get anywhere... but i feel good that im trying!
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi garyph77,

I'm glad I've found this thread. I too am plagued by this problem. I got the iphone 3G on release day (11th July 2008) and it was excellent...for about 6 months. Then everyone and their brother gets one and all this year the service in central London is awful and beyond use.

I work in W1B (top of Regent Street near BBC and Langham hotel). Have full 3G signal and sit near a window (if it matters). 2 out 3 attempts to call my phone fail and the call goes to voicemail. 2 out of 3 attempts to call from my phone result it 'call failed' pop up on the iphone. This problem is noticeably worse around the middle of the day, typically 11am-3pm. You can forget about using the internet during this time. Which also makes the majority of apps (which rely on an internet connection) useless.

Having bought my iphone almost 14 months ago I'm happy that I don't have long left before I can move to another network, but I'm still annoyed that I have to pay £35/month for a service which is poor to useless. I called 02 and told them of the problems. They acknowledge the congestion on the 3G network in central London and their solution is to use 2G. The chap said investment on additional masts is planned but can't give a time-scale.

I'm very interested in your complaint to Ofcom and Otelo. Seems 02's T&C's have covered their backs. But if the same was happening to our water or gas supply they would fix it or offer a refund/compensation. If I'm paying for a 3G service, but only getting a usable 2G service then I would like a reduction in my monthly subscription! only seems fair.

Keep me posted.
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also thought it was worth mentioning this:

My colleague has an unlocked iphone. I asked him to try a Vodafone and Three sim (we didn't have a spare Orange sim) in his iphone to test network speeds during our lunchbreak. Using the 'speedtest' app from the appstore we tested voda and three and compared the result to 02.

All tests were done 5 times immediately after each other and an average taken.

Vodafone:

Avg ping: 1350 ms
Avg down: 887 kbps
Avg up: 277 kbps

Three:

Avg ping: 1287 ms
Avg down: 1130 kbps
Avg up: 54 kbps

02:

Avg ping: 7578 ms
Avg down: 218 kbps
Avg up: 49 kbps

It's worth mentioning that when doing the 02 tests, 2 downloads reported 0 kbps and 3 uploads reported 0 kbps. None of the voda or three tests failed.
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok - another update... i called otelo and they said they could only take up my case if i had written to o2 NOT emailed!!

soooo - i called up o2 customer resolutions team and spoke to a diffarent person from who was investigating my case. I explained that i was in contact with otelo, and could they please send me their email reply as a letter through the post.The lady i spoke asked what my problems were , and i must say she was extremly helpful, extremly honest and extremly upset about my bad experiences. For once i did feel that someone at o2 was taking me seriously..she explained it wasnt really the 3g network that was the problem, but in fact the iphone idata part of it.. its too congested and they simply cannot handle demand.

She asked what i would like from o2 and i said that id like a network that i could use my iphone on without the speed issues. She correctly pointed out that unfortunatly they couldnt suddenly make this happen but do accept the problems and are working on it..

I was made an offer by this lady that she was hoping would help my issues and enable me to use o2s services and for me to stay a customer with them.. i accepted her offer.. and am hoping this will keep me going until im out of contract! lol.. i dont want to say on here what the offer was..dont know whos reading.. but if anyone wants to know message me and i shall tell!
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have sent you a pm.

M
Message 10 of 10