Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto top up

Townsend
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

We have a sim in electric gates so a caller can contact an occupant. We ant to arrange an automatic top up but the system wants to send a code to the mobile. Hoe can we set up an auto top up without this code?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10200 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3013 Solutions

@Townsend 

The only way to do it is to put the simcard in the phone, whilst it sends the code. 

There is no other way round it. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10200 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3013 Solutions

@Townsend 

The only way to do it is to put the simcard in the phone, whilst it sends the code. 

There is no other way round it. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 8

MrGrumpy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

We have a similar problem, with an auto dialler in a burglar alarm. We set up an auto top-up on Pay as you Go using a credit card. It was working fine for a couple of years, till the expiry date ran out and the card company issued a new card with a revised expiry date, so the auto top-up failed. I have tried putting the sim in a mobile phone and can receive the code correctly. But when I access auto top-up on the website I get 
"We’ve not been able to set up your auto top-up."

I called Customer Services and they said they were unable to change the details on the credit card for me, but if I went in personally to an O2 shop they would be able to help. I went to the Cambridge shop yesterday and they said they couldn't do it either, and that Customer Services didn't know what they were talking about. 

So I cant do it over the web, or in a shop or through Customer Services. Is there a fault on the web site? It used to work. How do I solve the problem?

Message 3 of 8

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5813 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@MrGrumpy 

Get a top-up voucher from a shop or post office and top-up manually with the SIM in the 'phone. 

Presumably a ten pounds' top-up would last for ages in your alarm ? 

Message 4 of 8

MrGrumpy
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, @Oxonian 

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I have managed to use the new card to get a one-off Web top-up, and as you say that may last me some time. If it hadn't worked your suggestion of a voucher would have been a next step.

But O2 does offer Auto top-up as a facility and it bothers me that no-one is able to fix the problem and I have no access to my own data. What if I wanted to change to a different credit card or a bank account? What if the auto top-up was still working but I wanted to cancel it? This is no way to run a company. I would never recommend O2 to anyone if this is the best they can do. I certainly would not consider taking out a further contract with them myself. But thanks for your suggestion.

Message 5 of 8

Oxonian
  • 5813 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@MrGrumpy 

Unfortunately, the customer service of the UK mobile 'phone companies is mediocre, with O2 widely criticised on this forum, Three seemingly in a mess as they move customers between computer systems and Vodaphone about to relocate customer services to Egypt. 

Hence, whilst you might not recommend O2 to anyone, it is a "level playing field" with customers as likely to encounter problems elsewhere as they are with O2.   

Message 6 of 8

MrGrumpy
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @Oxonian 

It does sound a bit grim, from what you say. I understand you're not O2 Tech Support, but can you help with a couple of questions?

1. In the PAYG Guide to Topup it says log into MyO2 and "activate Auto topup". Does that mean just click on the orange auto top-up button or is there something else I need to do?
  2. When I do click the button and "We’ve not been able to set up your auto top-up" appears, I also get " It could be because some of the details you’ve entered weren’t correct. Please try again later. " There's nothing wrong with my personal details, but under device details all I get is the mobile number and a panel that says do you want to remove this device. That looks odd to me. Should there be anything else there?

Hope you can help.

Message 7 of 8

Oxonian
  • 5813 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@MrGrumpy 

I am sorry for the delay in replying.

The problem with the Customer Services' issue is that it is a cost for the mobile network operators, but a cost that doesn't directly bring in revenue. Hence, there seems to be a tendency to do the minimum reasonably possible with the objective being to avoid a mass exodus of customers.   

Unfortunately, I have been unable to replicate the issues that you are experiencing, probably because I always top-up my PAYG SIM using vouchers purchased from a local shop. Hence, I do not have a bank account or card linked to MyO2. 

I note that the "How to Top Up (PAYG)" guide was written by @Cleoriff. I wonder whether he might be so kind as to consider the questions that you have raised ?    

Message 8 of 8