Did you mean: 

Audi ESim help

bacon
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

I have just received my 2023 Audi Q7 and I would like to use the mobile Wifi. In previous models, I would take my O2 sim, plug it in and away we go.

The new range all have ESIMs installed, which I thought was good as ESIMs are supposed to be easy to move around, except Audi wants you to go through Cubic Telecom and their pricing is on the very very high side. I am meeting a lot of resistance in getting any information out of Audi about where the ESIM is, what the number is etc.

Here are my questions:

Do I need Cubic Telecoms' cooperation with a PAC code, or can I switch my ESIM to O2 without interacting with either Audi or Cubic Telecom?

I can find the telephone number by buying the smallest plan and calling my phone to see the number.

I worry that my ONLY choice is Cubic Telecom and their daft pricing. 

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@bacon 

The esim won't have a number until it's activated, so if there is a way to activate it with a QR code, you can use any network.

However, after reading the Audi press release, it appears that you are stuck with Cubic. 

Audi connect SIM - Online Without Borders - Audi UK Newsroom

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

bacon
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

MI5

Thanks for the replay. Thats the link I found that made me concerned. However, since posting my first question I have been doing some research into how eSIMs work.

Apparently, all you need is the eSIM ICCID number, which I have, and then you can choose whomever you want as your supplier, just by supplying that number.

According to a guide to eSIM, the initial comms throws out the ICCID number and the the O2 computers grab it and add it to the network for the time period you have paid for.

It is certainly worth a little test using a PAYG eSIM, I will update this thread with the results.

Thanks

Message 3 of 7

bacon
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

that should read "reply" not "replay"!

Message 4 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@bacon 

Be interested to know the result but no esim on O2 PAYG.

Try giffgaff, Spusu or Lyca for one on PAYG.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10180 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@bacon 

Unless you can find the menu with the esim, there is no way to install it in the car, and this is is the same with most cars that have sims installed my Polestar 2 is the same....  

Not sure if it is the same with Audi (unlike indicators sorry couldnt resist) it could be included for a set amount of time, and also that esim  maybe linked to the VIN number to allow OTA updates...

Best place to look is any of the Audi User Groups or even Audi Direct.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 7

bacon
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Some slight progress, for those of you with an Audi. If you go to the Data Connection settings and then choose support you get a telephone number to call and beneath that is the eSIM ICCID number.

Message 7 of 7