cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archaic and Sexist

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been a customer of O2 for 18 years now. I recently enquired via Facebook about an upgrade.  I use my married name on Facebook, but nowhere else, not work, tax, bank etc. There is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT for a married woman to use her married name. However, O2 refuse to discuss at all until I change my name. I will  not be bullied into using a name I choose not to use for a legal contract when I do not use it for anything legal in my life at all. If I were to use my married name this would cause so many issues as my banking, finances, ID etc are all in my maiden name which I will NOT be changing. I also find this type of practise out dated, patronising and belittling. I think O2 really need to look at how they treat women. This has to be the most sexist thing I have ever come across. The public really need to know what O2 think of women in this day and age!

It appears that O2 do not know the law and would rather lose a customer of 18 years than admit they are legally wrong. It seems I am doing nothing illegal, yet O2 are trying to force a woman to use a name against her will or legal rights. I will be consulting a solicitor regarding this as this is extremely poor customer  services. 
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Who told you that you had to change your name?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Are you sure this isn't an innocent mix-up, for example on Facebook your name will be Mrs X yet on all your billing (and assuming your O2 account) you will be Mrs / Miss Y so from the customer service agent perspective they may not be sure they are speaking to the right person?
Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
That's the only assumption I could make from it.
My sister didn't change her name when she got married on her bank or phone account but all her social media is in her married name and she's never been told by o2 to change her name at all.
I think this is a huge fuss over a simple misunderstanding.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4