cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to get a 3G PAYG SIM?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Been with O2 for some time now and am currently using the 2G PAYG SIM I got with my old Nokia 6300 in my Nokia 5800 (non-locked bought directly from Nokia) I got a few months back. Im using the Web Bolt-on as I use the internet fairly frequently.

Of course the connection is GPRS or if Im lucky EDGE but niether is giving much speed and is making some of the "heavier" web pages a chore to browse.

Is there any way to get hold of a 3G PAYG SIM (other than dodgy sites selling unused IPHONE SIMS)? Local O2 stores seem clueless (different unhelpful answers depending on the assistant).

Are the free sims you can order 3G or they still shoveling out 2G ones (the only provider that does)?

Is buying a new PAYG phone the only "legitimate" way in O2s eyes the way to get one?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
I think if you phone CS they will send you one out.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 87378 Posts
  • 596 Topics
  • 5313 Solutions
I think if you phone CS they will send you one out.

perksie is right. Just call customer service or go into your local o2 store.
Incidentally, all o2 sims are now 3G.
2020-Awards-jonsie5695219-2

O2 Social Media

SM IconsTwitter

Instagram

Facebook

Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
As above, all new o2 sims are 3G. In the shop, they should should have given you and probably will if you go back and ask them, a Pay & Go replacement sim. They can arrange for a seamless transfer of your mobile number, credit and any bolt-ons.

If customer service send one out, you will have you current sim disconnected and will have to wait a few days before you receive the replacement meaning for those few days, you will not be able to use your number.

Both ways are free of charge but as you can see, going to the shop is the quickest and simplest way.
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can confirm that the process is trivially easy and takes only a few hours.
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everyone, went back to the O2 shop and got someone with a clue this time. slight_smile

Unfortunately I lent my phone to a friend soon after who promply swapped the sim out for his and lost mine! 😞

Phoned CS and got a replacement sent (recieved it today) but despite CS saying it would be my number its coming up as not registered! Been 3 days since I ordered the replacement, I would of thought it would be active by now. How long it normally take?
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
You should have received it with your number all ready to use. Looks like another call to customer service is in order.
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Phoned CS, they claimed the number was registered to the sim and that no blocks were on my number. Told me to go the O2 store to get a replacement sim for the replacement sim, did so.

The "within 24hrs" for this new sim to get working is almost up and this sim is coming up as unregistered the same as the last...fingers crossed.
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
24hrs been and gone...No luck. Smiley Mad Smiley Mad

What the hell are they playing at? I've seen numbers transfered between sims in less than an hour before now. I can understand if they only update the registration db once a day (hence the withn 24hr claim) but this.

Either someone is lying to me about my account status or somethings not been/being done correctly through sheer incompetence.
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Contacted CS yesterday and they had no record of the 2nd replacement sim, so the incompetant staff at the O2 shop didnt even bother to register it (way to go guys). Smiley Mad Smiley Mad

CS have now taken the sim number and but its still now over the "within 24hr" they promised again, oh and I got a few minutes free as a goodwill gesture (would be nice to actually be able to use them).

Its now a week with no phone and is frankly way beyond a joke, how hard can it be to transfer a number to a new sim, its not like its between networks so there no PAC code involved or anything. Personally I suspect some flag has been put on my account (although CS deny this) as my number is now coming up as unrecognised which isnt a good sign (previously calls to it went to voicemail as I would expect).

I'll give them until tomorrow and then I going to play hell with them if its not resolved.
Message 10 of 13