cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anovo Norwich

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anybody had any dealings with this crowd, if so how did you get on? ( This is the purpose of the thread and any off topic high and mighty responses are not welcome.)
My Blackberry has been returned from the repair debacle, unfixed because of "damage by liquid."
I know the early 8900's had speaker issues and that is exactly why I returned it, safe in the knowledge that this would be a straight forward fix. I can't help believing that the repair technician named "Attila" has not even tried a new speaker in the phone. He has claimed there is evidence of liquid damage yet the phone works perfectly otherwise. Steady as a rock, probably has never crashed and performs beautifully. I am absolutely raging with the letter I have received as it tries to add the personal touch, but it is clearly pro-forma.
The line,

"The circuit board in your phone is made up of layers. When liquid or condensation gets inside the phone, the layers start to rust. This type of damage isn't covered by the manufacturer’s warranty"

Righty, here we go. This phone... and this can be verified by my mobile phone bills has lived most of its life in the South of France. So, no excuses from the repair tech that this damage is common in the UK. I saw a thread where somebody's intelligence was insulted by an O2 repair tech in this manner.
This phone has not been worked hard, my bills will confirm this also and it has always been stored in an original Blackberry real leather case, not the tacky one supplied. Leather at least breathes.
What do I have to do to this phone to make it last the 18months of my contract? If this phone is showing condensation damage and this indeed is the cause of the speakerphone problem then I would suggest the 8900 is not fit for the purpose. Personally, I think it is a cop out on the part of the repairer/manufacturer. This is all about selling more phones and RIM ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Now that RIM/ANOVO/O2 have officially junked my phone, I am considering opening it up myself and examining the board and purchasing a new loudspeaker. I built my first radio when I was 14, so I know my way around. If the straight replacement of the speaker solves the problem, do you think then I have grounds for complaint?? I have read so often about Blackberry repairs being refused because of water damage, something is not right here. If my phone had been submerged in any water, it would be clear to the repair tech. I am not a fool, I would not have submitted my phone for repair had it ever seen water. So, we have to assume it is condensation........ yeah right!
Paul Kelly the O2 Repair Centre Manager reckons they have been trying to get hold of me but couldn't... according to the letter. Actually, James from Repairs and Returns tried once last week and left a message saying he would try again.... he didn't.
All in all. This is one shoddy affair. This phone developed the fault when it was 9 months old, had not faced the elements and was used solely by myself in my private, retired life.
I have been appalled at O2’s service so far and as much as I am only too aware that I am only a drop in the ocean customer wise, I am not the type to lie down.
I recently upgraded my bank account to a Premier account and have mobile phone insurance available to me. I did the honest but some would say stupid, thing and did not register my phone with them, waiting until it was repaired. Now, I have five months of my contract remaining and a defective phone. I have no spare handsets. I have used mobile phones for 18yrs and never had to have one repaired.... could this be the way I have treated them...... ask Atilla!

I could go on and on, but I am sure you are already bored.

Any suggestions from those in the know other than leave O2 in at the end of July?
Message 1 of 57
56 REPLIES 56

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anovo are a respected and well known repair company. I have used their services when I claimed under the Nokia two year guarantee (as they do warranty repairs for Nokia). Even though I didn't have proof of purchase, they were able to see the date of manufacture, repaired and refurbished the handset and returned it. I sent it via their Freepost service on the Tuesday and it arrived through back with a repair report on Wednesdayof the following week. So I was delighted with the service.

I do know that they do not receive payment if they are unable to fix a handset, so it would not be in their interests to falsely claim water damage. (Of course, they could be mistaken with their diagnosis)

I read on forums people who claim that their handset couldn't possibly be water damaged, without looking inside the handset it isn't possible to prove or disprove anything.

There are two things you can do, you could use O2's Complaint Review Service or there are companies who will repair a water-damaged Blackberry for a fixed fee. Personally I would try the complaints review service. I hope you won't think that I'm being high handed (as this is meant to increase the likelihood of you getting a repair/replacement) but when you do contact O2, stick to the facts and don't let your obvious anger lead you into making accusations. A clear description of what has happened and how you would like it solved is likely to be more effective.

I do wish you all the best with getting a handset sorted.
Message 2 of 57

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anovo are a respected and well known repair company. I have used their services when I claimed under the Nokia two year guarantee (as they do warranty repairs for Nokia). Even though I didn't have proof of purchase, they were able to see the date of manufacture, repaired and refurbished the handset and returned it. I sent it via their Freepost service on the Tuesday and it arrived through back with a repair report on Wednesdayof the following week. So I was delighted with the service.
I do know that they do not receive payment if they are unable to fix a handset, so it would not be in their interests to falsely claim water damage. (Of course, they could be mistaken with their diagnosis)
I read on forums people who claim that their handset couldn't possibly be water damaged, without looking inside the handset it isn't possible to prove or disprove anything.
There are two things you can do, you could use O2's Complaint Review Service or there are companies who will repair a water-damaged Blackberry for a fixed fee. Personally I would try the complaints review service. I hope you won't think that I'm being high handed (as this is meant to increase the likelihood of you getting a repair/replacement) but when you do contact O2, stick to the facts and don't let your obvious anger lead you into making accusations. A clear description of what has happened and how you would like it solved is likely to be more effective.
I do wish you all the best with getting a handset sorted.

I hear what you are saying and thank you. My issue is that, he may have seen condensation evidence, but did he try install a new £4 replacement speaker or has he been told by RIM to junk any handset with condensation evidence and not to effect a fix? This sounds like a warranty cop out.

My other issue is that this seems prevalent in Blackberries.
Message 3 of 57

Anonymous
Not applicable
In my opinion all of that is irrelevant. What you want is a working handset. Personally, I would want to move forward and get the handset sorted. I wouldn't be wasting time speculating on why something did or didn't happen.
You can get the contact details for the Complaint Review Service from your terms and conditions.
Message 4 of 57

Anonymous
Not applicable
In my opinion all of that is irrelevant. What you want is a working handset. Personally, I would want to move forward and get the handset sorted. I wouldn't be wasting time speculating on why something did or didn't happen.
You can get the contact details for the Complaint Review Service from your terms and conditions.

I agree that "moving on" is the way forward, but I am unlikely to pay any more cash for another phone, so I am sure O2 will not be interested in me.

It comes down to simple semantics, O2 and/or RIM think I broke my phone by exposing it to excessive humidity. I know I didn't. I cannot see what basis I have for a complaint at this stage.

I have read a substantial amount on the Net about Blackberry's and water damage, as well as O2 repair agents. It is quite worrying.

I will start with a simple mic replacement and if it proves effective then I will know that Anovo did not try to repair it. Then I will ask Anovo for a breakdown of the work they carried out on my phone. Then I will start complaining and kicking off at O2 and RIM. :robotmad:
Message 5 of 57

Anonymous
Not applicable
The water damage indicators on my battery and in the battery compartment are showing absolutely no sign of water ingression. Can't wait to open the 8900 up and see what evidence of liquid there is. :womanindifferent:
Message 6 of 57

Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't forget to take photos! From what I have read (on crackberry I think), there is another indicator within.

Cheers. Yep I will take some real hi-res photos.

Just ordering the £4 original part that might just fix the problem. slight_smile
Message 7 of 57

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good luck with it. I still think its more important to get your handset fixed and not to start some campaign to prove a theory.
Do let us know how it goes.
Message 8 of 57

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good luck with it. I still think its more important to get your handset fixed and not to start some campaign to prove a theory.
Do let us know how it goes.

Agreed, that was my first concern and thats why I ordered a £4 oem speaker and a £1.50 screwdriver. If you are thinking I should be in touch with O2 to sort out another handset, that won't be happening. O2 are not interested, yet.

If it works, I will have some questions for Atilla and co. I note that the warranty sticker was never replaced on the handset, so effectively the phone has been junked. I am not going to start a campaign if I prove my theory, I will just look at legal options.

Looking forward to seeing the internal water damage indicator.:)
Message 9 of 57

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please, if you are intending to go down that route then take proper independent advice now before you do anything which may invalidate any claim in future.
Message 10 of 57