Did you mean: 

Airtime Discounts on new iPhones?

JoeyT
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi All,

So, back when I got my iPhone 7, I a friend of mine worked for O2 and got me a 50% discount on the Airtime with the F&F scheme. I then moved my partner over to O2 from vodafone to avail of the family discount (20% off airtime).

So, as it's been a while I and I had the refresh/trade-in upgrade option showing for the las few months, I decided to go for one of the new iPhones.

I thought I had lost the 50% discount when I added the other phone and applied for the family discount, but apparently not, but it seems I can't add my phone to the family discount as an upgrade doesn't count as a new connection and it has to be the "lead number". I could theoretically be elligible for the student discount or O2 Open, but neither of these apparently work on plans where the new iPhones were purchased...

I'm just a little concerned as I planned the budget before I upgraded but without having a lot of this info, and my bills have suddenly jumped up...

So, long story short, is there ANY scheme with which I could get an airtime discount on one of the new iPhone plans??

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys, I'll clarify here too so everyone will know how the discount works. slight_smile

So having checked this with our Gurus, it is the oldest connected line that is the lead connection and cannot have a Family Plan discount - the lead connection cannot be changed to another one I'm afraid. All the other eligible lines will receive discounts once eligible when they renew next.

The discounts are then also based on when they’re connected too, so in the above scenario if ‘Account 3’ upgrades before ‘Account 2’, it would get 30% discount even though it’s the 1st to qualify for the scheme and only when ‘Account 2’ upgrades, the 2nd connected account would get their 20% discount.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JoeyT you could try talking to customer service but if you are not eligible for the discounts you are talking about & they are not available at the moment then that’s all you can do

https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Message 2 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Your partner's phone now becomes the lead device so they would need to add you to their family plan for the discount.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/O2-Open-amp-Friends-and-Family-discounts-How-to-sign-up/...
https://www.o2.co.uk/family-plan
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 12

JoeyT
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey @MI5- Thanks for that... does that mean I just have to send the message from his phone instead of mine?

Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, that should do it slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 12

JoeyT
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Amazing - will give that a try now yahoo

Message 6 of 12

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @JoeyT, good information above from our members - let us know how you get on with this and if you managed to add the discount alright in the end?

Message 7 of 12

JoeyT
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hey @Marjo & @MI5 - just to update you, unfortunately that didn't work. Apparently as my number has been on the account the longest it is seen as the lead number regardless and as such it is not eligible for family plan, regardless of upgrading. 😥
Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
@Marjo, doesn't seen right to me?
Can anything be done here?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 12

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Sorry to hear that @JoeyT 😞 Thanks for the tag @MI5, I don't personally know the details here but happy to double check for you. I'll drop you a private message to get some additional details shortly. 

Message 10 of 12