cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aged 88 with 12 years' loyalty

Anonymous
Not applicable
In 1998 my mother, then aged 77, took out a mobile phone agreement with O2. She paid a monthly fee through her Barclaycard and received a handset free of charge.

She has paid for this service ever since, it currently costs her about £12 a month. She has hardly used this phone over the last 12 years, the reason being that the handset is unsuitable for her needs. She cannot see the display screen, she cannot manage the keys and the battery requires charging up every 24 hours. It is an old style phone and does not have any of the modern accessories that make the use of the phone easier for older people.

My mother was due for a replacement phone in 2003 but was not told of her entitlement nor was she ever contacted to enquire whether the level of service she was paying for was suitable for her particular needs. O2 just continued collecting her money month after month for 12 years, despite the fact that it was obvious that the service was not being used.

This matter would have gone one indefinitely except that we needed her phone in a medical emergency and it would not work (probably had not worked for years). I telephone O2 to request a new phone for her but was told that she would have to enter a new contract for a further 18 months – she is 88 years old and in very poor health and she declined in favour of a “Pay As You Go
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Unfortunatly o2 do not post here.

But if you want to complain higher email complaintreviewservice@o2.com
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I agree with sheepdog. o2 have 18 or 24 month contracts, if you want a new phone you need to enter one of these deals. If not you can go for pre pay or simplicity but you need to supply the phone yourself. This is how it works, you'll find the other providers are the same. Nobody will give you a free phone with no minimum term.

o2 haven't done anything wrong, you just seem to be bitter because you haven't got what you thought you could demand - a bend of the rules.
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
loyalty means nothing in the business world and this is a business not a charity.
also you mention paying loads since 1998 etc o2 were formed in 2001 so she was paying money to a now non-existance business not to o2.
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't really see it as O2's responsibility to contact people about their usage etc.

Also you can go on Pay As You Go and get specific phones suitable for elderly people. Large text display, larger buttons etc.

These are not expensive (less than £100 for sure) and you could buy it for her if she can't afford it?

I can't remember the specific name but one is around £50, very basic and easy to use, and even has a button on the back you hold down to call a designated emergency number.

She may find it useful. If I find out what it was called i'll post a link. It was reviewed on www.reghardware.co.uk a few months ago.
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it was a RANT and DISAPPEAR post. Probably not worth saying anything else
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't remember the specific name but one is around £50, very basic and easy to use, and even has a button on the back you hold down to call a designated emergency number..
Is'nt is the Doro Phoneasy?
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for excellent advice from adamtemp64. As suggested, I contacted complaintreviewservice@o2.com and they have resolved the matter for me.
Message 8 of 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Glad to help
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 9 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Result, I've heard adamtemp64 is partial to the odd cookie. wink

I hope they resolved it to your satisfaction.

I feel in this case a goodwill gesture wouldn't have hurt too much.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 10