cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account holder change

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anybody ever had any problems with changing the name of the account holder on a contract?

I've had a contract with o2 for as long as I can remember however it has always been in my mum's name as to begin with I was under 18.

The last time I upgraded, I was told o2 were unable to change the name of the account holder, so I just accepted it and got out a renewal.

However I am now fed up that o2 are more than happy to take the payments out of a totally different bank account to the one of the account holder yet are unable to change the name of the account holder?

I am able to upgrade again in December and would prefer to stay with o2 but change the contract in to my own name but if I am definitely unable to do this then I won't bother and will just change to a different company as this simple request seems impossible?

My step-mum had no problem changing hers with another phone company so no idea why o2 find it such a struggle! What about if I got married and changed my name.. would they again be unable to change it?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated slight_smile

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're unable to get the existing account name changed you could just setup a new contract in your own name, then get the number from the old contract moved over to the new one.

If you do this before the upgrade date there may be some line rental left to pay on the old contract (as moving the number away from the account also closes it) before you'll be allowed to port the number.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145091 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
You should not have any problem changing the account holder name. Both you and the account holder need to be present to pass security checks and you would need to pass a credit check, but otherwise, that's it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

We were both present last time, and despite having all information needed and a good credit rating for myself, they weren't able to do it. 

Any idea why they'd say they can't when they can?!

Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145091 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
I can only assume the person "couldn't be bothered" ??
You should be able to do it on the phone by calling 202 also......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
This has been debated before and can be confusing.

Both you and account holder would have to be present and you would probably have to pass a credit check.

It would be possibly easier setting up your own contract.

Only ringing O2 on 202 will clarify if they will do this for you.
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're unable to get the existing account name changed you could just setup a new contract in your own name, then get the number from the old contract moved over to the new one.

If you do this before the upgrade date there may be some line rental left to pay on the old contract (as moving the number away from the account also closes it) before you'll be allowed to port the number.

Message 6 of 6