Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G

JohnG
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi! I’ve just got a new iPhone 12 pro max and heard that I need a new sim to get 5g. I currently pay £10.27 for 8 GB and don’t want to pay more. Any advice on how to upgrade so I get 5g and what contract for sim only? Cheers
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

@JohnG 

You will need to switch to a current sim only tariff but that should be cheaper than you are paying now https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/sim-only-deals#deviceType=phone&contractLength=P18M 

Request a new sim when you upgrade to get a 5g sim card too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10288 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3024 Solutions
@JohnG

All you need to do is contact Customer Services and request a 5G sim card, you dont have to change Tariff

If you call 202, when it comes to the reason you are calling, stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else

Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.when it comes to the reason you are calling, stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else

Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23217 Posts
  • 1030 Topics
  • 3694 Solutions

@JohnG You also need to be in a 5G area, which you can check here: https://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker

5G sims are backwards compatible, so if you're not in a 5G area, it will still work.

Edit: If you do decide to go for 5G you'll also need to do a sim swap: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/SIM-Swap-a-mini-guide-incl-eSim/ba-p/1060675

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:
@JohnG

All you need to do is contact Customer Services and request a 5G sim card, you dont have to change Tariff

You do if on an older tariff that isn't 5g compatible.

I don't think O2 have offered 8gb for a long time?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 5 of 5