Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g - Making Calls - Do they work?

xma1e_
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 50 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I used to be on O2 Simplicity but switched to EE for 4G. However EE4G is great for data but pretty naff for making calls. I get so many complaints these days because my phone won't pick up calls even with full bars. It's the EE network and finally flagged up on BBC Watchdog.

I am seriously considering coming back to O2 because calls were excellent they just lacked decent phones and 4G, this seems to have changed. Has anyone had problems making call on O2 4G, particularly dropped calls?

Thanks

Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and welcome.

Have you spoken to ee's Customer Service's.

Their may be an issue with their network.

Dropped calls is a fact of every mobile network unfortunately, within reason !

Did you pre check that their network gave good network coverage where you live, commute and work etc.

My friends on o2's 4g have said they have not had any issues.

Have you switched from 4g to 3g or 2g to see if it improves.

Check o2's service status to see if they now offer stable network and data coverage where you are.

http://status.o2.co.uk/

Obviously if you want to port over to o2 you will need a PAC from ee and ask them about any early termination fee's.

Is o2's 4g rolled out in your area yet ?

http://www.o2.co.uk/4g/coverage-and-cities

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and welcome.

Have you spoken to ee's Customer Service's.

Their may be an issue with their network.

Dropped calls is a fact of every mobile network unfortunately, within reason !

Did you pre check that their network gave good network coverage where you live, commute and work etc.

My friends on o2's 4g have said they have not had any issues.

Have you switched from 4g to 3g or 2g to see if it improves.

Check o2's service status to see if they now offer stable network and data coverage where you are.

http://status.o2.co.uk/

Obviously if you want to port over to o2 you will need a PAC from ee and ask them about any early termination fee's.

Is o2's 4g rolled out in your area yet ?

http://www.o2.co.uk/4g/coverage-and-cities

Message 2 of 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

My friends using O2 4G have not reported any issues thus far with call quality. I did see the Watchdog programme with reference to data speeds offset by the inability to make fundamental calls and texts. At this stage it seems to be only EE having the problem.

Message 3 of 21

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

All networks in the uk have not implemented volte yet (voice over lte) So for calls you phone must not be in 4g only mode.

If call quality is affected then that will be a 3g / 2g issue.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

My friends using O2 4G have not reported any issues thus far with call quality. I did see the Watchdog programme with reference to data speeds offset by the inability to make fundamental calls and texts. At this stage it seems to be only EE having the problem.

I must have missed that airing,

Good reading.

Link for the OP if required.

Worth a read !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/ee-poor-phone-call-reception-4g

Message 5 of 21

MI5
  • 144493 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions
Part of EE's problem was that they had to farm off a large amount of their 3G spectrum to launch 4G which has reslted in over capacity issues on the 3G network.
As adam rightly pointed out above the phone will currently drop to 3G for making and receiving calls....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 21

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
This is the same (at present) for all UK networks, 4G is data only at the moment.
Message 7 of 21

japitts
Level 4: Observant
  • 82 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Well not really...

EE have refarmed part of their 2G-1800 spectrum for 4G, they've not touched 3G-2100.

As for overcapacity on the 3G side, I think EE have just over 49Mhz worth of 2100 spectrum, the largest chunk. I'm using http://www.prattfamily.demon.co.uk/mikep/frequency.htm which seems as good a source as anything.

Whatever the problems are, I don't think they're spectrum or capacity related at all.

Message 8 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
On O2 4G and zero problems making calls since it started working on my iPhone.

Perhaps someone can confirm this, but I was under the impression that O2 only use LTE (4G) for data and that calls and texts are sent via their 2&3G networks. You get dropped calls on any network, personally on O2, I get about one a year, which ain't too bad. If you live in an area of very high use, you might get more I guess. Another reason to keep an eye out for planning applications for masts and write in to support them, as plenty of people do the opposite!
Message 9 of 21

MI5
  • 144493 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Perhaps someone can confirm this, but I was under the impression that O2 only use LTE (4G) for data and that calls and texts are sent via their 2&3G networks. 

Yes, already mentioned a number of times, correct for ALL UK networks currently....

VOLTE (voice over LTE) is the next awaited introduction.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 21