cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£225 charge for internet usage :-(

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All

I’m a 1st time O2 customer and have a pay monthly contract via direct debit for 3 month now. Upon checking my latest bank statement I found that I was charged over £260 for me latest O2 bill.

I never viewed my bill online as all the DD was within my monthly contract cost.

So I register on to My O2 and find this below:

I was charged £183.69 not inc vat for using 221mb of UK browse and download, this seems very excessive to me. i also have an unlimited internet bolt on with my contract.

My total usage of the month was 925mb and total internet charge was £192.37 not inc vat.

I don’t mind pay extra 10 or 20 pounds for going over the limit. I did ask when I signed the contract what is the max limit for fair usage, the sale guy said there was none.
But close to £200 + vat for 1Gb of internet usage (less of course when you mins the maximum allowance of my unlimited internet bolt on) in the UK seems to me like hight way robbery.

I did receive a text message for excessive usage and a letter on that matter on 09/06 as well. However, I was not advised by O2 of my massive bill, I also phoned up O2 on two occasions for other issues and was not made aware of the billing issues. Agin the lady on the phone can not tell me the max limits of usage for my unlimited internet bolt on.

The text message did not give me extra cost infor, and the letter warned that ‘if your usage continues at this level we may place a bar on your account preventing any further data usage until your next billing date’. Again not cost or charge for over usage.

Has anyone else had this issue and can you please let me know the outcome?
I’ll phone O2 in the morning but I’ve a felling that now they have my money, it will be difficult to get any back.

Thanks for reading the long post and its a shame that my 1st post is such a negative one as I have enjoyed the O2 service till now.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I was under the impression ISPs (Internet Service Providers) are required by law to publish traffic management figures on the web site some where.

I am a customer of Virgin Media (for example), who publish their traffic managment scheme for my broadband connection at home, on their website.

below is the example of what you should expect:
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

Now I have yet to find anything on whether 3G network carriers are required to do the same thing, but i would assume from the ridiculous charge you have incurred they should do some where.

I have checked myself and have not found anything on the o2 website, besides legal jargon. As a paying customer you have the legal right to know about traffic management, in order to avoid such ridiculous charges. Unfortunately it seems o2 do not publish an easy to read table for its customers, however I could be wrong and did not look hard enough...
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
But mobile operators don't use Traffic Management. They have a fair usage policy, as long as you don't do any of the prohibited things and don't affect the service for others you won't have a problem.
If you don't agree with the terms and conditions then you shouldn't sign up to them.
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I can’t get thorough to O2 on the phone, seems all the iphone 4 wannabes are jamming up the line. I’m going to the apple store in Regent street tomorrow morning early to see if i can pick up a sims free version, anyone else going?

I’ve examined my data usage in a bit more detail and found the the extra charges was in the middle of last month, the same time i changed my unlimited web bolt-on to blackberry bolt-on. So the billing is showing usage for both mobile.o2.co.uk and blackberry.net for that week and I was charged for using the mobile.o2.co.uk, Hence the extra £220 phone bill, it seems O2 is charging £1 for every mb used!

I think I have a good case here as the transfer between the two bolt-ons were handled by O2 and I was only using one device.

Also I used about 500mb more data on the bill after the week I got the Blackberry and there was no further extra charges.

I'll go to my local O2 shop at lunch time to see if I can get this sort it.

Does anyone have any advice I can use at the shop to strengthen my case?

Many thanks
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Blackberry handsets send data through both the blackberry and mobile web APNs, depending on how the application is written.
So ideally, if you wanted to use applications that don't use Blackberry data (like streaming), you would have data packages for both.
It seems this is an issue of how Blackberry works.
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I went to the nearest O2 shop, but the staff are all busy with handling iphone customers. So I’ll have to phone up O2 tomorrow.

Blackberry handsets send data through both the blackberry and mobile web APNs, depending on how the application is written.
So ideally, if you wanted to use applications that don't use Blackberry data (like streaming), you would have data packages for both.
It seems this is an issue of how Blackberry works.

Thanks for the infor.

How does the average consumer expected to know all of this when there are no information available from the network providers.

I was not made aware of this when I phoned up O2 after getting the Blackberry. The gentleman at the other end only advised me that I need to change my unlimited web bolt on to blackberry bolt on, never told me that I’ll need both bolt ons.
Is only when something like this happens that the network customer learn the painful lesson.

So do you think I’m now in a situation with O2 and Nokia point fingers at each other and I’m left £225 out of pocket?

P.S. £1 per mb is a sick joke, that £1,000 for 1gb of mobile data usage. Also I can’t find any were on O2 web list that cost.

Not a happy camper at the moment.
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
If it was me, I would first check that I had used the data. And then write to the complaint review service, explaining what happened and how you feel you weren't made fully aware of the situation.
Message 7 of 7