Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 Month SIM Only Upgrade to O2 Refresh

maxwilkes
Level 1: Joiner
  • 21 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently took out an iPad Pro 12.9 inch 2020 128GB on a 48 month O2 Refresh plan (£23 a month device plan and £13 a month airtime plan). My understanding is I can upgrade that at anytime providing I clear the device plan balance OR I can upgrade at the end of the minimum term at no extra cost. When placing the order for the iPad I had to put down a £595 deposit which I have been informed will be either credited to my airtime balance or refunded to my bank account (my choice) after I have paid my first 3 months on time...month one has already been paid in full successfully.

Anyway...to THIS topic now...

I tried to take out an additional line for an iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB (as the 64GB is out of stock and 64GB is terrible in 2020...128GB is alright though but there isn't a 128GB iPhone 11 Pro Max sadly) for £53.28 monthly (36 months) on O2 Refresh (£35.28 device plan and £18 airtime). Got through to the credit check stage and it once again asked for a deposit of £500. I cancelled the order at this point as I've already put down a deposit of £595 on the iPad and don't fancy putting down another deposit of a similar amount in the same month. Anyway...it was then that I noticed that the 12 month SIM only plans offer the ability to upgrade to an O2 Refresh handset after 3 months. So I thought screw it I'll get one of those and use it in my existing handset until I'm able to upgrade. I took out the £35 UNLIMITED data one and when I went to login to My O2 it says I'm eligible to upgrade right away. Was a bit confused at this as I was told 3 months...anyway I checked and it seems I can upgrade my SIM only tariff right away if I want to (although there is no further upgrade from unlimited) but that I'd have to come back in SIX months if I want to upgrade to a device plan...I was told 3 months originally?

Anyway...I don't overly mind waiting 6 months if I have to but still...why was I told 3 months and now being told 6 months? Does anyone know?

The other question that I have though...IF in 6 months time I am eligible for an upgrade (which I'd like to think I will be if I pay my bills on time, especially since I was originally quoted 3 months) then will the upgrade be subjected to a further credit check? As the reason I'm doing it this way rather than putting down £500 deposit is to AVOID having to put down a deposit as a result of a credit check.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@maxwilkes 

There are no credit checks for upgrades but taking a device may subject you to additional security or identity checks.

The term is 3 months but you'll need O2 to override the 6 months as the system still defaults to 6 months.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/rewards/sim-only-upgrade-to-refresh-after-3-months-terms-and...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@maxwilkes 

There are no credit checks for upgrades but taking a device may subject you to additional security or identity checks.

The term is 3 months but you'll need O2 to override the 6 months as the system still defaults to 6 months.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/rewards/sim-only-upgrade-to-refresh-after-3-months-terms-and...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 2