cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0800 numbers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why can I not call 0800 numbers from my pay monthly phone?

I am told to remove the first 0 and try again.

I have now found I have been charged £5.40 for three phone calls to a free phone number which doesn't even come out of my minutes.

This is ridiculous, other networks either don't charge or at least take it from your minutes.

Another issue with O2, I have been with you 6 months and you have lost signal several times leaving me with a useless phone, I don't have a landline or computer so how are people suppose to get in contact with me!?

I sometimes try using wifi (including o2 wifi) with full signal strength but am told I am unable to connect, check my connectivity, and I have the same problem with mobile Internet too sometimes.

This is unacceptable when I'm paying for a 'service' every month and am tided into a contract!

Sort it out O2  

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144987 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
TBH it has always confused me why we get charged for calling a Free number that the owner of the number pays for the incoming calls on.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23205 Posts
  • 1029 Topics
  • 3690 Solutions

If you have an Android phone there is a free app called 0800 Wizard.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 15

MI5
  • 144987 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
TBH it has always confused me why we get charged for calling a Free number that the owner of the number pays for the incoming calls on.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
...same reason we pay so much for calls abroad: we expect to pay it, so vendors will be happy to fulfil. The same goes for 0800.

Historically it cost to use the network therefore 0800 was charged at any normal call. Now we are in the era of unlimited calls, but the expectation of paying for a 08xx call has not changed, hence why we still pay it.
Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

So confused. I read that 0800 was free to mobile, you just dial 800. Now I have a huge bill. Over £6 for just one call. Why can't all this be clearer? I am fed up of being fleeced over and over again.

Message 6 of 15

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

New regulations will be coming in to ensure 0800 numbers are free from mobiles but until then we have to use alternate numbers. Too late for your charges I'm afraid. It's criminal how the networks have been getting away with this for so long.

If you have a BT landline or Virgin there are apps that you can download which will allow you to call these numbers free, just routing the calls through your home phone.

Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
When you rang the 0800 you would have heard a recorded message advising you that the call would be chargeable. All networks do this except for 3 who already include 0800 calls in their tariffs.

However the good news is that all uk networks must adopt 0800 as free from next Summer (July i think).
Message 8 of 15

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Giffgaff is also free for 0800 numbers wink and like O2 owned by Telefonica.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 9 of 15

MI5
  • 144987 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
Check out some of the "SayNo" apps available across platforms to assist in finding alternate numbers that are free to dial from your mobile....

Currently using:
Message 10 of 15