cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02 security issues

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone

Ok - a major heads up on something im sure is gonna annoy many people here.

From today ALL mobile numbers (unless ex directory) are available to the public via a 118 style service.

issue 2 : im ex directory via 02 and the TPS - im getting strange phone calls and when i do a search for the number i find that its a scam from 02 - or people pretending to be 02.

It first happened last month and after they devuldged private info from my 02 account i contacted 02 myself and they denied passing my information on to anyone and the lady confirmed i was ex-directory.

Now - this has happened a few times and 02 are telling me they know the information is getting out via their systems - but they dont know how - or care to be a fact as ive asked for my security to be confirmed or i take it a LOT further than 02.

They tell me they can only contact the company out of goodwill and told me to go ex directory - i was like duh - already am - but your selling my info to people or your just incompetent with data protection.

The scam is that they phone you up pretending to give you an upgrade for your contract - most people they hit arent in a contract!!!

A heads up on a major security issue that 02 cant be assed about - but seems were gonna have to do it ourselves.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've heard about this, the data isn't coming from the mobile companies directly but from 3rd party firms.

Ever provided your address and mobile number to a company on the internet who you were buying stuff from, and forgot to tick the 'please do not pass on my details...' box? More than likely those firms have sold your details on. (And unscrupulous ones may have done it even if you have ticked the box).

These marketers can make an educated guess as to which network you're on by looking at your area code, as these are allocated to networks. Of course, if you port your network from one to another then this stuffs this up, but not everybody does this, making their guess seem accurate for a reasonable percentage of calls.

TBH though, if someone random calls you saying that they're your phone company, and ask for your card number in order to get an upgrade... you'd be pretty daft to give it to them.
Message 2 of 8

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions
I've checked the site and my number can't be found slight_smile
#siwy
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hiya

lol yeah - its not a number i knew so i didnt call back - they did and i laughed and hung up.

as for the marketing companies - nope - i never allow it and i take photocopies of all paperwork i have signed and regualary check up on those companies.

02 have admited its there servers the info is coming from and i have told them that i'll send a SAR into them and ill be checkin my full account for issues etc.

didnt know the site was up yet - just knew it was being made available from today - hmmmm - gonna go looksie now - anything of mine and there will be trouble!
Message 4 of 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
:robotindifferent:
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I never give out a current number anyway. If it have to give a number its one Ive used 5 years plus ago or a made up one
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
its got nothing to do with o2.

the numbers are avalible to buy from a variety of third parties many of which dont even have anything to do with mobile phones.

if this company does get hold of your details then there is little that o2 can do about it and you need to contact them to ask them to stop or alternatively call the telephone preference service.

RV
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
as for the marketing companies - nope - i never allow it and i take photocopies of all paperwork i have signed and regualary check up on those companies.

If you're so sure that O2 has a security leak, what makes you so sure that all of the other (hundreds?) of companies that you've provided your details to have 100% secure systems, many of whom have a far lower risk of reputational damage than O2?

Not trying to defend O2, but your logic does seem a little flawed...
Message 8 of 8