cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02 saying that I'm using an obscene amount of data

Anonymous
Not applicable
My monthly allowances reset on the 1st of every month and on the 28th I received a text message from 02 that I had used 80% of my data allowance (800mb of 1gb). I have no problem with this as I was aware that I used a lot of data at the start of the month. However, the following day (29th) I received a further text from 02 saying that I had used all of my data despite using my phone probably less than I had on most other days. I rang 02 and the woman suggested that this was probably due to me using social media (loaded Facebook and twitter possibly 3 times) which apparently has the potential to use 200mb... A nieve if not stupid response from an 02 employee.

Anybody have any suggestions, advice or help???
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

What phone are you using ?

Some phones have built in data counters where you can see what app is using what amount of data.

Take into account data is used in the background by apps. Location services use data.

Updates to apps use data.

200mb can be used as we all know by steaming etc. bit not by the usage you describe.

I would suggest ringing O2 uk Cs on 202 contract or 4445 Payg and ask again.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

What phone are you using ?

Some phones have built in data counters where you can see what app is using what amount of data.

Take into account data is used in the background by apps. Location services use data.

Updates to apps use data.

200mb can be used as we all know by steaming etc. bit not by the usage you describe.

I would suggest ringing O2 uk Cs on 202 contract or 4445 Payg and ask again.
Message 2 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Bear in mind that when you received the text, data for that particular day wouldn't update till midnight. However 200Mb over 2 days does seem extreme unless apps have been updating over mobile data rather than wifi.
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I rang 02 and the woman suggested that this was probably due to me using social media (loaded Facebook and twitter possibly 3 times) which apparently has the potential to use 200mb... A nieve if not stupid response from an 02 employee.

Facebook have recently decided to annoy everyone by adding a new feature that automatcially plays any videos in the news feed.

The default setting when Facebook added this feature is ON which has in turn has annoyed a lot of people with sudden data useage issues.

Go in to Facebook then go to - "Settings" then "Video" then check if "Autoplay" is set to ON or OFF - unless you have turned it OFF this could be your issue.

Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cheers for the replies guys. I have an iPhone 5 but the thing that strikes me is that I didn't change my usage over that day. Over the rest of the month I used on average <30mb per day then to use 200mb in one day seems suspect to say the least. I appreciate that I may be lax on closing my apps and do it on probs every 3rd day but I do have less than 2 pages of apps so I can't imagine it using that much.

Yh I heard about facebook changing their setting and changed it immediately but I'm pretty sure that was another month but definitely not during the period in question.

I may well give them another ring but while the service was pleasant, she did lack basic technical knowledge and it's 20 minutes I can't really afford to waste again. It isn't so much of an issue now as my allowance restores tomorrow but I don't want it to happen again and unfortunately it just seems yet another negative experience with 02 which are rapidly outweighing the positive ones 😞
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Data usage on iPhone.
Settings - Mobile - shows each app usage at the bottom.
Remember to reset these statistics after each Data allowance refresh.

The apps in the Multi tasking tray (ie when you press the home button twice)are in a suspended state so don't worry about closing them. They are there So when you want to use the app again it then opens up quicker.

The iPhone closes them if it need to itself. slight_smile
Message 6 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's a possibility that you had used more than 800mb when the original notification came through (ie it was late arriving)....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Anonymous  welcome to the Commnuity!

Please stay in touch with us and let us know how things progress. We are here to help and most of the times the knowledge of the community can solve the problems... some others unfortunately not.

Your comments and feedback also allow us to detect and to assess the magnitude of different problems,and to be faster at finding solutions

Keep in touch!

Message 8 of 11

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Facebook have recently decided to annoy everyone by adding a new feature that automatcially plays any videos in the news feed.

The default setting when Facebook added this feature is ON which has in turn has annoyed a lot of people with sudden data useage issues.

Go in to Facebook then go to - "Settings" then "Video" then check if "Autoplay" is set to ON or OFF - unless you have turned it OFF this could be your issue.

I was looking everywhere on the Facebook website for this and only just realised that it's in the settings on the phone D'oh!

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same as me ! Apparently I am using data by the bucket load !!
Last month apprently I used 500mb in one day !! Totally impossible when I was in work for 8 hours phone switched off and only turned on before I got on the underground !!
And surprise surprise again this month my data has run out . I hardly use it always on free wifi if out and about its impossible !
And also had tge same response from O2 oh its maybe because you go on Facebook and Twitter alot ! Ermmm No its not iam at work phone off !!
Its a rip off beginning to really hate o2
Message 10 of 11