Did you mean: 

O2 mid term rise v ofcom ruling Facts

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Loads of threads over this but the salient points are

1 Ofcom rules apply from 23rd Jan 2014 and allow for price rises http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2014/01/checklist-when-taking-out-a-new-phone-or-broadband-contract/ This line  beyond what you agreed to at the point of sale

2 O2 issued new T&C that apply from 23rd Jan 2014 that meet the guidelines above. http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-mobile-agreement

3 On contracts prior to the giudline implementation date 23rd Jan 2014 the relevant T&C have it covered. the links below should confirm it. I.e. o2 can put it up by RPI.

aug 2013 - Jan 22 2014

(may2013-august2013)

(april2011-april2013)

Complainimg to o2 or ofcom will not exclude you from the rpi rises and in all the T&C o2 have the get out clause if above stated rpi.

These are the facts and however harsh you feel it only Ofcom are to blame and o2 have used the guidelines as implimented

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Leaving O2 for a network that complies with the OFCOM ruling in the spirit it was intended will however exclude you from future increases. Especially if you are on O2 refresh and can simply buy out a phone plan which is excluded from the increases

Message 2 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

I Hate to be the one to bear Bad News for O2, but the RPI was de-designated by the Office for National Statistics as a recognised national statistic in March 2013.

It was replaced with the new measure of inflation, called RPIJ, which uses a different formula, and almost always reflects the CPI.

The measure of inflation, which is what is mentioned in clause 5.3 of the relevant T&C, is the RPIJ, which is at 2.0%. O2 are increasing prices by 2.7% or more than inflation, so to take clause 5.3(a) as reason for terminating, is a valid legal argument and should be upheld...

I'll update on the course of that argument once it has passed the Retentions Team Manager, who has all the evidence in email.

Message 3 of 47

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You seem to have posted the same thing twice for some odd reason.

I've flagged the copy for you.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

who? me?

Message 5 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
We know that ofcom are to blame as they seem like a bunch of spineless nerks who can't make rules only guidelines any fool can do that and I bet they get paid loads for it too but the only way to get at O2 for being underhand and not going with the other networks is to leave
Message 6 of 47

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

While there are multiple threads on the same issue, the poster is quite justified in posting the information into each and every thread in case some members of the community are only following certain threads. If the moderators want to merge the discussions into one thread (which I think they should) then that is the time to discuss the issue of posting the same thing more than once

Message 7 of 47

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The full pdf of the guidance goes into more depth remember o2 now use the word will and not maybe in the new t&c and it is teh most prominet part of the t&c intro http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/gc9/statement/guidance.pdf

A1.14 These examples of the application of this guidance are for illustrative purposes:

Example 1: discretionary price increases

The subscriber agrees and enters into a 24-month contract for services on terms that the core subscription price will be £10 per month. The contract also contains a term to the effect that the CP may increase the agreed core subscription price

8 by up to a certain amount, percentage or index-linked level (such as RPI).9 Ofcom is likely to treat any exercise of the discretion to increase this agreed price during the fixed minimum term of the contract as a modification meeting GC9.6’s material detriment requirement.

Ofcom’s concern is with the application of price and price variation terms which give the CP discretion as to, for example, the possibility, amount and/or timing of a price

increase. We are likely to take a similar approach to that above to the application of contract terms that reserve such discretion and/or are to the same or similar effects as those in example 1.

Example 2: agreed prices

The subscriber agrees and enters into a 24-month contract on terms that the core subscription price will be £X per month for the first 12-months (or some other period) and £X + £Y (or £X + Y%) for the second 12-months (or some other period). On the basis that the relevant price terms are sufficiently prominent and transparent that the subscriber can properly be said to have agreed on an informed basis, at the point of sale, to the relevant tiered price(s), Ofcom would not regard the application of the agreed price in the second period as a modification of the contract capable of meeting GC9.6's material detriment requirement.

Example 3: agreed prices

The subscriber agrees and enters into a 24-month contract on terms that the agreed core subscription price will be £X per month for the first 12-months (or some other period) and £X + RPI

10 for the second 12-months (or some other period). On the basis that the relevant price terms are sufficiently prominent and transparent that the subscriber can properly be said to have agreed on an informed basis, at the point of sale, to the relevant tiered price(s), Ofcom would not regard the application of the agreed price in the second period as a modification of the contract capable of meeting GC9.6's material detriment requirement.

A1.15 As set out above, the position in examples 2 and 3 depends on the relevant price terms being sufficiently prominent and transparent that the subscriber can properly be said to have agreed on an informed basis, at the point of sale, to the relevant tiered price(s). Where that is so, the application of the agreed price(s) at the relevant time(s) would not be a modification of the amount he or she has agreed and is bound to pay. Most clearly, this proviso as to prominence and transparency could be met where CPs market offers, and enter into contract terms, in a way that sets out with equal prominence that the contract price is £X in period 1 and £Y in period 2 (or some other periods).

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 47

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@davethorp wrote:

@perksie wrote:

While there are multiple threads on the same issue, the poster is quite justified in posting the information into each and every thread in case some members of the community are only following certain threads. If the moderators want to merge the discussions into one thread (which I think they should) then that is the time to discuss the issue of posting the same thing more than once

At the moment their post is only a claim that the O2 figures are wrong, so spreading it around the forum is not on, if they're proved correct it's different.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 9 of 47

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

At the moment their post is only a claim that the O2 figures are wrong, so spreading it around the forum is not on, if they're proved correct it's different.

Claim validated. Presumably the poster is now justified to continue with their posting

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/cpi/consumer-price-indices/february-2013/stb---consumer-price-indices-...

Message 10 of 47