Did you mean: 

transfer number but keep sim

yebaws
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

Interesting to see that O2 use their customers to help each other out rather than making it in any way easy for their customers to contact their customer services dept (assuming that they have one) for some help.

Mind you, I'm sure I'll get much more useful information here. So here's my question:

I have an O2 PAYG sim and want to transfer my number out to another network with a PAC code. Simple enough. But I also want to keep the O2 sim to use as a second sim in my dual sim phone. Doesn't matter what number the O2 sim reverts to as it will only be there for when I can't get a signal on my other (main) sim.

Possible to do, keeping the existing credit on my O2 sim?

Thanks for the help

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@yebaws 

You can't keep the O2 sim active at all if you port your number to another network, sorry.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

yebaws
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

or maybe get a second O2 sim and transfer balance accross before porting number accross? Balance transfers allowed if both sims registered to same person?

Message 3 of 10

jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

The problem is that O2 will only transfer a balance by cancelling the sim you transfer from

You need to hope you will get an adviser who will help you to keep the donor sim active so that you can port the number

It might be easier to use the credit yourself first

Message 4 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23101 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3677 Solutions

@jonsie Could the OP do a partial transfer and just leave a nominal amount on the sim they want to port?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 10

jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

yebaws
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It might be easier to use the credit yourself first

<<sigh>> yes I suppose so. We can send people into space but can't do something as simple as transfering a balance because we are ruled by inflexible computer programmes

Message 7 of 10

jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Just to be clear, It's an O2 policy rather than an inflexible system

They can do it but have been instructed not to.

Just as they could change numbers round on two contracts but won't

\Systems get blamed for a lot of things but are in the main,operated by a human

Message 8 of 10

yebaws
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

"can" vs "can't" vs "won't" vs "can't be bothered",  but all with the same outcome. I presume you have some inside info there @jonsie . Maybe worth pleading with them as I'm staying with O2, but depends on how much discretion the CS people are allowed...

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions
CS don't have any discretion. They can only do what the computer allows. As they are all outsourced now and not O2 employees, they have even less incentive to do so.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 10