Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why have I been told I cant top up by debit card

Thelma
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My mother who is 92 is on O2 and has not long changed phones but kept her number she has been unable to top up with her nat west debit card. So I phoned O2 and they said they could see there had been problems and would send a form to another department and will be able to use the debit card in a week. Meanwhile topped up with a voucher and 3 weeks later tried topping up with debit card and its saying unsuccessful phoned O2 again and they said they could see the form had been done but my mothers phone could not be topped up with a debit card but they coudn't give me a reason why. Very annoying as my mother doesn't get out but used to be able to top up on an older phone with a different number no problem. I know I can get her a voucher but she likes to be independent. Any ideas on why she can't use her debit card, plenty of money in the account. Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123380 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@Thelma 

No idea whatsoever why, after using a voucher first, she cant top up by card.

It sounds as if O2 are making excuses. When I was PAYG I could use any one of THREE debit cards with no problem.

All ways of topping up are here Guide How to Top Up (PAYG) 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10292 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3025 Solutions

@Thelma 

It could be a marker on the card that was sent back by NatWest when your mother tried to use it to topup, which is causing these issues. 

Can you top up using your Debit Card?

I would speak to NatWest, and see if they can see any fraud markers or anything else on the card, as long as the card is a UK card then it will be accepted unless markers exist.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 4

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Hey @Thelma were you able to sort this one out?

Message 4 of 4