Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail PIN Keeps Being Reset

Daedalus
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't use voicemail very much - it's possible that sometimes a couple of months go by in between messages being left for me. However, most times I do get a message, I find that my voicemail PIN has been reset to default and that I need to enter a new PIN. Why does this keep happening? I have asked about this before and was told that it shouldn't happen, and was told there's nothing they can do because there's nothing about my account that should cause this.

So come on O2, why does this happen? It would appear that you have very little concern for the privacy and security of your customers if you regularly reset their voicemail PINs. I really don't care who finds out that I have a plumber calling next week, but it's concerning all the same that such disregard for security could be "normal", and begs the question in which other areas of security are you equally as unconcerned?

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions
Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions
Message 2 of 5

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Call your voicemail once a month to keep it active.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

Daedalus
  • 7 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

For security... Interesting. I wonder what clueless committee meeting came up with that idea. By all means require a change the next time the user logs in (standard practice across the entire tech world), but resetting it to default is essentially saying that no password is better than an old password. Imagine if they applied the same policy to your forum account - there could be any number of commandeered accounts on the go.

As for calling voicemail once a month to keep it active, that's a pretty ridiculous requirement for a couple of reasons: First, I have to remember to do it. And second, calling the voicemail costs me 20p a go apparently. Yes, I'm fortunately not in a position where 20p a month makes a difference to me, but that's not the point.

Message 4 of 5

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I agree with everything you say @Daedalus I don't use voicemail as a rule but on the occasions that I do need it, the pin has always been reset to the default. I am also worried about the security aspect, those days have long gone since I had voicemail left that I wouldn't want my present wife to hear but that's another story, and quite apart from security it's annoying to have to take the time to reset it again before you are able to listen to what could be a very important message.

This was a poorly designed system in the first place hence the hacking scandal that outraged everyone not too long ago. Not just O2 but all networks but I'm unsure whether other networks allow this going back to default thing over an ungiven period of time. 

Message 5 of 5