cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using mobile data abroad (via a huawei wifi box. Not a phone)

Helen29
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, we are visiting France from the UK in a camper van and have always had grief with this huawei wifi box wheneverwe go abroad. In the wifi router website it is showing constant 3 or 4 bars 3G connection to the bouygues telecom cell tower and is connecting to the phones, but it is showing connected without internet on the phones. On the website it is showing connections to the cell tower and phones like I said, but is saying disconnected. It worked fine in England. Some things I have tried are:

adjusting the APN and entering various connection profiles that people have sent on online forums and the o2 website.

Turning the wifi extender feature in and off. It doesn't explain very well what it does, but I think it is using other connections to allow us to connect. As there are no other connections set up, it shouldn't be doing anything.

Connecting to different service providers. As well as bouygues telecom, which is the default, I have tried connecting to orange F and Free but neither of them worked.

Restarting the system and reseating the SIM card, however I am fairly certain that the Sim card works as the router is receiving texts from o2.

Changed the wifi band between 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Shouldn't make a difference, and didn't, but I tried it anyway.

like i said, there are connections being made between the box and the cell tower and the box and out phones. Mobile data is turned on on the box and so it data roaming. The sim card is definately set up for data roaming and we got it from an o2 store.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144959 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27797 Solutions

@Helen29 

O2 data sims do not work abroad.

You need a different solution for your use in France.

Get a local sim from SFr, OrangeF etc

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144959 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27797 Solutions

@Helen29 

O2 data sims do not work abroad.

You need a different solution for your use in France.

Get a local sim from SFr, OrangeF etc

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 2