Did you mean: 

Security Flaw

SiriusB
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi folks.

I'm not an 02 user as I've been with my mobile provider for over 18 years & intend staying with them.

My disabled wife however is with 02 & has been for several years.

She got an iPhone 7 from her family back then which was an 02 phone, so ordered her a sim on a £10 p/m big bundle.

All went well with regular top ups of £30 every 3 months or so until 12/6/23 when she lost her phone.

Tried calling it many times that day as in the past she has misplaced somewhere in the home.

Due to what transpired later, I now believe it was stolen.

Now the fun begins.

Ordered a new sim & phone & on receipt, activated new sim.

on 13/6/23, contacted 02. Half way through explaining situation, got hung up on so recalled, same thing happened.

Gave up on that day.

Called again on 14/6/23 & after a 13 minute call, appeared to have situation resolved.

Oh poor naive me.

Checking e-mail yesterday, find that a payment will be taken tomorrow (14th)

Not too happy.

Logged into A/c tried removing stolen number only to have an OTAC going to STOLEN phone.

Believing it to be too late to call CS, left it until this morning & after getting through the automated menu, spoke to C/S & after a 36 minute call it "looks" like it may be finally resolved. I'll know tomorrow.

If one is logged into A/c, would it not make more sense to send a verification e-mail to A/c holder with a clickable link to confirm said action?

Also, why didn't C/S take this action a month ago when 1st reported.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36022 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

You should have reported the device stolen at the time @SiriusB - it triggers all sorts of lockdown and an auto delivery of a replacement SIM, with same number assigned, leaving you just to find a suitable replacement handset:Guide: Lost or Stolen O2 Device? - How to Report it

Hindsight us 20/20 I guess. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36022 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

You should have reported the device stolen at the time @SiriusB - it triggers all sorts of lockdown and an auto delivery of a replacement SIM, with same number assigned, leaving you just to find a suitable replacement handset:Guide: Lost or Stolen O2 Device? - How to Report it

Hindsight us 20/20 I guess. 

Message 2 of 5

SiriusB
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for replying. Appreciate the link. In fact did report it. Again yesterday which once again has turned into a big fail.

It seems that anything that is outside the C/S script, the Mk 1 computer fails.

As for an auto sim replacement with same number assigned would not work in this case.

At 19:13 14/6/23, phone tried contacting me on my mobile. My phone only rang once then stopped. Seeing the number rang back immediately, went straight to voicemail. The same happened again at 11:58 16/6/23.

With the phone in someones hands & with a 6 digit passcode set...ominous to say the least.

Once again, thanks for that link, will try that which will be the fifth & final attempt.

If that fails, then we'll see what trading standards have to say regarding the breach of the Sale of Goods Act.

Edit. Just clicked on your link.

Waste of time, as I did that on 12/6, 13/6, 14/6 & 13/7.

Message 3 of 5

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6619 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

@SiriusB I'll tag one of our advisors on duty this afternoo

Keep an eye out here for a message

@O2Emma can you look into this please

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 5

SiriusB
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Much appreciated, many thanks.

Have to give 02 kudos as I would not be aware of this issue until it was too late had they not e-mailed me at 9:28 10/7 regarding a payment that will be taken on 14/7.

Thanfully they e-mailed at 17:33 12/7 stating that payment cancelled.

However they switching to the standard PAYG tariff?

I trust that will not be an auto payment?

I hope not.

Thank god I'm old school.

I do not use a mobile for any online activity especially banking or any app that can access financial info, as for social media...

One good thing about technology, it really is amazing how easy it is to provide a paper/digital trail using a computer & laser printer.

I do trust that I will be contacted otherwise I will be going to Trading Standards as the breach of the Sale of Goods Act is so blatantly obvious...

Please note this: I have NEVER been one to rock the boat to speak, but like anything else in life, there comes a time that the line has to be drawn.

Message 5 of 5