Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Spain - Please help !

Anglo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Community, I bought an O2 PAYG SIM (6GB for £10) from Amazon and had it delivered to Spain. I need a UK phone number because I am returning to the UK often and will be moving there in a month. The people I purchased it from activated the sim nd added a £10 PAYG bundle - and I know thats the case because O2 told me its activated. I also topped up the account with £10 which I can see in my account.

HOWEVER: I cannot recieve any or make any calls, and neither can I send any SMS -- but I can recieve SMS. I can use the data, it is roaming and working fine, but not voice or SMS 😞

I called O2 3 times yesterday (from Spain) and they gave me 3 solutions that did nothing. They say they have opened a case, but ive heard nothing yet and im afraid I will have to call them again - which is probably costing me 10 euros each time.

Can anyone help? I am very tech literate so have no issues with any of the tech, but it should just work, but isnt.

When I call a number I get a high pitched beeping, a bit like the recipient is engaged, but its a higher tone than that.

Please help, im desperate !

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123303 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@Anglo 

Have you tried manually selecting a different network?

Take the sim out, clean it gently, reinsert and reboot the phone.

As some things are working you obviously haven't got a roaming bar but it does sound as if there may be a problem with the sim. ie you may need a new one. (Occasionally people have received new but faulty sims)

You could pop into one of the numerous mobile phone shops in Spain and see if someone could help?

Finally and as a last resort, you could always use a local sim until you come back to the UK.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 24

MI5
  • 144873 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions

@Anglo 

Not sure how it would work out with it not yet being registered on O2-UK.

I'll tag @O2Kyle to see if he can offer any help?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 24

Anglo
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Supposedly its been "activated" and confirmed by O2, but is that different to registered?

Message 4 of 24

Anglo
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is there anyway I can debug it?

Message 5 of 24

O2Kyle
Former Staff
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@MI5 Thanks for tagging us on this one.

@Anglo Hi Anglo, the sim must be activated and topped up in the UK first prior to being used abroad. Do you know if this was done?

signature
Message 6 of 24

Anglo
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, it was topped up and activated in the UK. O2 have confirmed its activated.

Message 7 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 123303 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

I would be interested to know the outcome of this @O2Kyle  as I have made some suggestions above which haven't yet been addressed. thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 24

O2Kyle
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

sure thing @Cleoriff  we'll let you know the resolution.

@O2Elliott is my colleague who works within the PAYG team so i'm tagging him for assistance to view the customers account.

@Anglo i've sent you a private message so we can go through some things.

signature
Message 9 of 24

MI5
  • 144873 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions

@Anglo wrote:

Supposedly its been "activated" and confirmed by O2, but is that different to registered?

Yes @Anglo 

It was sent directly to you abroad so has not registered on the network here in UK.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 24