Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refunds on PAYG ??

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5778 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

I have always understood that O2 never offer refunds to PAYG customers. I have also seen that message relayed by the likes of @jonsie and @MI5 on this forum on a regular basis. 

Yesterday, I texted "INFO" to 85075 from my O2 PAYG handset. I was bemused to receive an automated text message in reply that began :-

"Hi, it's O2. We hope you don't decide to switch today, but if you do you'll be entitled to claim a refund for your credit balance of £xxx.xx as of 03/11/2023"........   

I am absolutely certain that this is incorrect - or is it ? Has their been a change of policy ? I am on a very old classic PAYG SIM, which might or might not make a difference. 

I am not thinking of leaving O2 so this is somewhat theoretical from my viewpoint. But in the interests of ensuring that information given on this forum is correct and accurate, I wondered if anyone has any insight or thoughts ?  

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@Oxonian 

Refunds are possible under some circumstances but only when cancelling a PAYG contract and usually if you transfer to a monthly contract.

If you top up incorrectly you won't get it refunded.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@Oxonian 

Refunds are possible under some circumstances but only when cancelling a PAYG contract and usually if you transfer to a monthly contract.

If you top up incorrectly you won't get it refunded.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5778 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

I think that explains it @MI5, as the text went on to talk about converting to a contract. 

It is slightly misleading as I don't think they were referring to what could be construed as a "cash" refund ; more a move of credit from a PAYG account to a contract account.

Thanks for clarifying !    

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

No problem.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4