Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting SIM card in a new phone

Didymos
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have a PAYG SIM card for a £10 Big Bundle in my present phone. I'm thinking of buying a new phone and wish to remain on the same tariff and retain the same phone number. When I went from from my previous phone to my current one I went to my local O2 shop (unfortunately now closed) where they had what O2 called "Digital Gurus" who did the transfer and setup for me.

I know enough to take the back off my current phone and how to remove and insert the SIM card but what I don't want is to end up with a messed-up, non-working phone with me desperately trying to find someone to sort out the mess. 

So, what I want is for someone to do it for me and make sure that contacts etc are also transferred if I needed a new SIM card. My question is, if I went to the nearest O2 shop (in Bromley) with my old and new phones would they do this for me?

My one worry is that the Bromley shop is either closed, even if listed as open on the Internet,  or is so desperately short-staffed that they don't answer the phone (I've tried at least 4 times over the past few weeks).

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Didymos
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for the reply. Your last line tells me what I want know - that an O2 shop will do it. And your comment on my misunderstanding about where my contacts are stored shows why I need someone who knows what they're doing to sort out my sim cards. slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23106 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3677 Solutions

@Didymos You can just put your current sim in your new phone. If your old sim was 4G and your new phone is 5G you'll need a new sim if you want the 5G service. Your contacts are not on the sim. Depending on what phone you have, all your contacts are with Apple or Google. When you sign into your account on your new phone your contacts should be there.

If you're unsure how to do any of that, find an O2 store nearby and they will do it for you.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 7

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5778 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Didymos 

The O2 website is showing Bromley as operational and next open at 9.00am tomorrow (Wednesday) :- 

Bromley | O2 Store

https://stores.o2.co.uk/o2-store-bromley

Based on my completely non-scientific observations, the O2 website is usually quickly updated in case of closure of a branch due to unforeseen circumstances.   

Message 3 of 7

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6621 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1489 Solutions

As you are PAYG, there is no 5G so your present SIM will do just fine.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 7

Didymos
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for the reply. Your last line tells me what I want know - that an O2 shop will do it. And your comment on my misunderstanding about where my contacts are stored shows why I need someone who knows what they're doing to sort out my sim cards. slight_smile

Message 5 of 7

Didymos
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thank you for the reply. It confirms my view that I'll be much better off getting an O2 shop to do the transfer rather than me merrily trying to do the job and finding out that it's oh so slightly more complicated than I thought.

Message 6 of 7

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5778 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Didymos 

It is actually a straightforward exercise with lots of guidance available online. My recent experience is moving Samsung to Samsung using the "Samsung Smart Switch" app and that is easy ; my past experience of iPhone to iPhone was equally successful. 

However, if you are uncomfortable with attempting this, I am sure that the staff at your local O2 retail store will be pleased to assist.   

Message 7 of 7