Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Scam

sakura
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I received a call from 01461-280058 saying that I'm eligible for 30% discount, and after saying no to the offer, I called 4445 to see if it is a legitimate call or not.

In the call that I had with 4445, they told me that the call is legitimate, and I am eligible for a 6 month free disney plus with a reduced monthly fee.

They tried to obtain my post code, credit card number, and email address, while asking me to obtain the one-time password that was sent to my phone number.

Would it be possible for you to check if it is a scam or not?

I thought the call was fine, as I called 4445, but I got scared as the person tried to rush me to get the deal while I say all of my personal information to them.

I told all of my personal information except my credit card number, and if it is a scam, I'm wondering about how I can protect myself.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10238 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3015 Solutions

@sakura 

You have been sold a monthly contract and with those offers it could be a 12months minimum term, what you come across is the aggressive Virgin Media sales technique, which unfortunately is all about earning the agent commission and other incentives..

o2 do sometimes have plans to encourage people off of PAYG, as that is a loss leader, and makes no money..
Not heard of anyone calling 4445 and been directed to the scammers as they wouldnt be able to do it, did you physically call 4445 or 0345 809 0222 or call another number.. 

Think you did the right thing in hanging up...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144723 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions

@sakura 

It's a well known scam.
Block the number and do not follow any links.
Forward the scam text or number to 7726 - It's free.
Other ways to report here including Action Fraud website
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice
How to block a number:
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062352/
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201229
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/Scam-Alert-Vishing-Smishing-amp-Phishing-Megaguide/td-p/1...

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6695 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1494 Solutions

The original call was a scam whilst the call to 4445 gave the representative the chance to sell you a contract on the back of that.

Not the first time and a very dubious sales technique 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 7

sakura
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you all for your response. I will block the original number as a scam. Out of curiosity, are there any reported case of calling to 4445 resulting in a scam instead of being in a representative?

The representative at 4445 was aggressive in trying to obtain my person information and trying to make me sign up to their "loyalty plan with a reduced cost", and they simply told me that I was being called first time because I was eligible for their loyalty plan.

They told me that the loyalty plan is 20GB for 10 pounds (with 3 months of free Disney+) or 30GB for 14 pounds (with 6 months of free Disney+), and they told me that I should not end the call now, or it is likely that I won't be eligible for the plan.

I wasn't able to find these plans online, so I'm being very suspicious about it.

Message 4 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144723 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions

@sakura 

The call to 4445 was just a typical Virgin aggressive sales tactic.

The original call was the scam.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10238 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3015 Solutions

@sakura 

You have been sold a monthly contract and with those offers it could be a 12months minimum term, what you come across is the aggressive Virgin Media sales technique, which unfortunately is all about earning the agent commission and other incentives..

o2 do sometimes have plans to encourage people off of PAYG, as that is a loss leader, and makes no money..
Not heard of anyone calling 4445 and been directed to the scammers as they wouldnt be able to do it, did you physically call 4445 or 0345 809 0222 or call another number.. 

Think you did the right thing in hanging up...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 7

sakura
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you all for your kind reply. It was super helpful for me to understand my situation better.

Message 7 of 7