Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor indoor reception recently.

HHGTTG
Level 3: Thinker
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

According to the O2 status checker I have problem in or near my postcode. This has been going on for some time now meaning I now get erratic 4G signal indoors especially. Just how long does it take for engineers to fix the problems with local masts? The checker now says Voice service should now be OK  but 4G indoors is erratic and my phone often show H+ or even E at times. Even is 4G is shown the internet is very sluggish.

Why is mobile networks so troublesome compared with say Terrestrial TV and DAB radio etc. These hardly ever give problems.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36407 Posts
  • 234 Topics
  • 1612 Solutions

@HHGTTG Do take a look at the O2 My Network App - it requires a different username/password to be set-up from the one you use normally for the Forum or for your MyO2 login, but it can be set up to monitor key locations that are of interest to you, and sends back notices by both SMS and e-mail if you set it up that way: https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network

Sample e-mail I got earlier today from the app's setting for ref::

pgn_0-1685048307635.png

Message 11 of 19

HHGTTG
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for that. I put the App on my tablet and went through the rigmarole of logging in etc.  with verification codes being sent to my phone by SMS and email. The info and reports are much the same though as when I enter my postcode into the status checker in My02etc where they can send reports at intervals.  

Message 12 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144900 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions

@HHGTTG 

The info you get back is exactly the same as there is only 1 source of information.

The My Network app is only useful for reporting issues which is pointless when O2 are already reporting as such.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 19

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36407 Posts
  • 234 Topics
  • 1612 Solutions
Message 14 of 19

HHGTTG
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Yes, I realise there's more information there than I first thought. On can see all the O2 masts in the area. 

Message 15 of 19

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23191 Posts
  • 1028 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

@HHGTTG Bite the bullet and start a monthly sim only contract to enable you to use WiFi calling: 

Wifi and 4G Calling explained | O2

You have to top up monthly anyway, so what's the difference?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 16 of 19

HHGTTG
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hmmm thanks but I very rarely use my phone to make calls so WiFi calling isn't required and is not available on PAYG anyway and is greyed out on my phone as is VoLTE. 

Message 17 of 19

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23191 Posts
  • 1028 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

@HHGTTG It's greyed out because WiFi calling isn't available on PAYG. Your choice entirely, but if you went with a monthly sim you could text from your phone, or use WhatsApp for texting, calling and video calls free over WiFi for probably not much more or even the same as you're paying for PAYG. The WiFi and 4G calling service isn't an extra payment. All O2 has to do is enable it on their end when you enable it on your phone. Seems to me to be a solution to at least part of your issue.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 18 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144900 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions

No need for wifi calling to use WhatsApp over wifi.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 19