Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone stolen but can't answer security questions to get it blocked / new sim

Guy300
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had an old Nokia PAYG phone stolen from my car.

I rang the relevant number to get it blocked/request a new SIM but after about half an hour holding was told I didn't pass the security questions, because I:

• didn't know the serial number of the SIM (it had been stolen so I couldn't look and I inherited the phone from my late father and never wrote it down)
  • couldn't give the right balance (I knew it was probably around £20-£30 but was wrong when asked to 'pick one of them'; haven't used phone in ages so how would I know - or now be able to check?).

These security questions seem designed for the caller to fail, which compounds the frustration of having it solen in the first place.

How can I achieve my objectives?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Did you not register a My O2 account?

All the infor needed can be found there

We’re just customers like you but it sounds like you’ll need someone to access your account which can’t be done from here. If you message O2 using the links below, they should be able to help you with this

Message 2 of 10

Guy300
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 didn't ask that when I rang them.

Don't think I set up an account.

I think my dad used to take an 'O2 top-up card' into his local O2 shop and er, top it up from time to time. Or perhaps that isn't how it worked.

I've just found it, and as well as the phone number in biro it has four other long numbers on the back, two of them associated with barcodes. Might one of those be the serial number of the SIM (assuming that's still one of the security questions if I take the time to call them a second time).

Which link do you mean to contact O2?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Guy300 

If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this
Thanks

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 10

Guy300
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just for the record, unfortunately neither O2 via social media nor in my city's O2 shop said they could help; both needed the same catch-22 security answers detailed previously, despite me brandishing dad's top-up card in the shop, seemingly with no possible flexibiltiy (like asking some different questions etc), which doesn't seem like a satisfactory conclusion. I do understand they need to some credentials however - otherwise I could get anyone's phone blocked.

Feels a bit like how PAYG customers were treated in the TV series PhoneShop, though.

Message 5 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10162 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3010 Solutions

@Guy300 

This is problem with customer verification, as it all done in the best of interests but it will cause problems for customers who don't know or remember details, unfortuantely the shops and CS are provided random questions to ask, and in most places, it locks the agent of asking anymore if a certain number of questions are answered incorrectly...  

The same would be the case for Pay Monthly customers or business customers... 

Branding a Top Up card, I am afraid proves nothing...  

This is why you should always register a phone... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@O2Emma 

Is there anything you can do to help @Guy300 at all?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 10

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @MI5  I will have a look into it thanks.

signature
Message 8 of 10

O2Emma
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @Guy300 I will send you a private message to see what we can do .

signature
Message 9 of 10

Guy300
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So the outcome of this is that @O2Emma has kindly assisted and said that I think it will be barred, but has said I'd need to go (back) to an O2 shop to get a replacement SIM (and perhaps even some of the remaining credit?) back. Since I already invested time going to an O2 shop and they wouldn't consider the situation without the unobtainable security answers and photo ID (which I took), I will have to write this off. Just saying, as I'm being urged to pick an answer as the 'solution'. But no complete solution seems possible following the theft. Thanks to all for suggestions and help.

Message 10 of 10