Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay as you go charges?

MarkPayAndGo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello. Last month I got a new Pay As You Go phone. I put in my usual sim card and away it went. For some reason o2 sent me £5 additional credit. I have no charged things switched on the phone like Data Roaming or Mobile Data, etc. When I checked my balance today (without the phone being used at all) it showed £2 off the balance. Why is money coming off my balance when nothing is being used? Thank you for the help.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@MarkPayAndGo 

£2.00 is what O2 take for any data use.

Once the data session is over, they refund the difference between the £2 and the actual amount of data used.

You need to turn off mobile data in your phone settings to prevent this as the phone will use it if turned on, even if you don't.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@MarkPayAndGo 

We’re just customers like you but it sounds like you’ll need someone to access your account which can’t be done from here. If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 10

MarkPayAndGo
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you, I'm not on Facebook or Instagram so I've sent them a message on Twitter. This is an emergency phone which is never used and the only thing I've done since setting it up is to check the balance using *#10# but I'm nearly sure that's free (?) so I can't understand why I've been charged. 

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@MarkPayAndGo 

£2.00 is what O2 take for any data use.

Once the data session is over, they refund the difference between the £2 and the actual amount of data used.

You need to turn off mobile data in your phone settings to prevent this as the phone will use it if turned on, even if you don't.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

MarkPayAndGo
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Cheers MI5. That must have happened when I was setting the phone up new. If Mobile Data was on at all, it was only on for a second or two - whatever time it took me to switch from on to off. But I'm nearly sure it was off to start with so it's still a puzzler. As long as no more money comes out then, everything should be okay. 

Message 5 of 10

MarkPayAndGo
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm curious about this... It's showing 4G beside the signal banner. Sure there's no charge for that? I'm sorry if that's a daft question, I know very little about mobile phones!

Message 6 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MarkPayAndGo  There's no charge for 4G it just means you will be able to use a 4G network service.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@MarkPayAndGo 

As long as mobile data is off there will be no charges.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

MarkPayAndGo
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Cheers everyone - all the help is much appreciated.

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Welcome slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10