Did you mean: 

Pay As You Go Inactivity

MD110
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Everyone
Right now, I'm out of the country and probably won't be back for another year or so (due to the pandemic as well as the project that I'm conducting). O2 Roaming is not working where I'm based at the moment and that's why I can't make or receive calls through my O2 sim-card, neither can I send or recieve text messages. As it is very important for me to keep my number, does anyone know how I could keep the number alive? I've just heard that if I top-up every six months the number won't be disconnected even if I don't make calls or send text messages. Is that true?
Cheers

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10674 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello @MD110 

Yes got it !

My understanding is though that you need to SPEND that money!

Once every 6 months.

Don't suppose you could lend your phone to a relative/responsible person in the Uk to

do that for you ~ suppose you have walked this walk though.

Best wishes

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

TallTrees
  • 10674 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello there @MD110 

Welcome to the O2 Community Forum

Got your questions~ Actually I believe you must make a chargeable call within 6 months and top up every three months.

This is the Paygo Contract ~ sorry awful thing to readfearful

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/on-pay-and-go-our-service-terms-are-worth-a-read#bm-o...

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MD110 

You need to make a call or text every 6months and top up once in 999 days.

Regardless of what it says in the terms and conditions, as someone who was PAYG fpr years, you don't have to buy a bolt on. Just make some sort of chargeable call or text.

However O2 do have a fair usage policy for Roaming. If you are using your phone for longer than 63 days, you will be charged or cut off.

https://www.o2.co.uk/roamfairuse 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

TallTrees
  • 10674 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello @MD110 

Regarding Calls and top ups.

Custom and Practice on  Pay as you go is as stated by Cleoriff

top up once in 999 days and a chargeable call/text (something) every 6 months and this is working for a colleague of mine for years.

However your point is and I think I missed this too ~ you can't do this.

So can you get any service if you have an International Bolt on? of some sort

or are you not near any service, if so then you need to think "outiside the box"

only you know the important answers to this.

All that I can say is you must be able to make a chargeable call every 6 months.

The Top up wouldn't be an issue in the above senario.

Best wishes TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 10

MD110
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the response. Do appreciate it.

Though I guess you didn't get what I meant quite right or perhaps I don't quite understand what you said.

Currently, I can neither make phone calls nor sending text messages. There's no service here!!!

The only thing that I can do is to top-up the sim-card online every six months. So far, I've got £40.00 credit on this number. Will the top-up alone save my sim-card?

Cheers

Message 5 of 10

TallTrees
  • 10674 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello @MD110 

Yes got it !

My understanding is though that you need to SPEND that money!

Once every 6 months.

Don't suppose you could lend your phone to a relative/responsible person in the Uk to

do that for you ~ suppose you have walked this walk though.

Best wishes

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 10

MD110
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks mate. That was very helpful. So, top-up every six months and I can keep the number. Cheers
Message 7 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
err no, chargeable activity every 6 months.
A phone with no signal will be disconnected and you'll have to call to be reconnected which can only happen if the disconnect was a short while ago and the number not reallocated.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 10

Feebs3758
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
How can you keep a Pay As You Go in readiness for emergencies? My hubby doesn’t use a mobile regularly, but this week was in hospital for a couple of nights. He left in an ambulance, so we just popped his phone in his bag as he left, but because he hadn’t used it for months, the number had gone out of service. How can we have a phone ‘at the ready’ for situations such as this please?
Message 9 of 10

TallTrees
  • 10674 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi there @Feebs3758 

Someone must make a chargeable call at least once every 6 months maximum and top up every couple of years. This will maintain access to the mobile service.   There's no way round it.

Welcome to the O2 Community Forum

Hope this helps  lots of very low users have to do this too.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 10 of 10