Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG

Judette
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am not able to make calls or send texts today. I have a PAYG phone and there is absolutely no way to contact customer service. When I go on there they say that I need to phone the PAYG team (I can't make calls and no matter how many times I say so they repeat the 'call the team'). I haven't topped up in many months but I have made calls in the past month. Would this cause the number to be disconnected for not topping up? I can get texts from O2. I was trying to top up today but cannot and I cannot make any calls at all. Or is there an issue with the network today? I hope someone can help.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Judette
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I thought that I'd give an update here. Having been able to visit an O2 shop while in the UK and no longer on roaming, I was advised that the issues were very likely because the SIM (and handset) were very old. I was advised to port over the SIM to a new one, which I did, and then tried that in a new handset (4G capable). It worked fine while in the UK but once back on roaming, the issues still persist. Can neither send messages nor make calls. I was briefly able to manually connect to a network and make a call but that worked only for a few seconds. So the issue is quite likely O2's roaming connectivity rather than the SIM itself. I hope to make another visit to the shop and see what they advise and will keep you updated. 

Message 11 of 21

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10293 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3025 Solutions

@Judette 

Where are you trying to roam?  

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 12 of 21

Judette
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh Republic of Ireland. I would have thought that it would be straightforward - but it's not.

Message 13 of 21

madasaf1sh
  • 10293 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3025 Solutions

@Judette 

It is either Three or Vodafone not allowing you to connect to their network.. Have you tried to connect to one or the other? 

It might be worth using Skype to call o2 on +44 800 902 0217 and getting them to check for any stupid bars.. I take it you have credit on your sim as well..

Message 14 of 21

Judette
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh yes I have credit. I struggled to get a connection to 3 - and even that won't work. Extremely frustrating.

Message 15 of 21

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6813 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

Is it possible on your phone to set network type to 2G only and see if you connect

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 16 of 21

Judette
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Enlli I tried to set it to 2G only but it immediately swapped back to 3G.

Message 17 of 21

madasaf1sh
  • 10293 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3025 Solutions

3 used to be o2, and going back from when I was working in Ireland a good few years it was a PITA @Judette 

What happens if you try to connect to Vodafone, or Eir?? 

Message 18 of 21

Judette
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh neither Vodafone nor Eir will allow me to register (manual network search) on their networks. I get 'registration failed'. That's surprising especially since O2 support back in October had said that these two are their partner networks and I should be able to connect to them. At this point I'm wondering whether it is not easier to port over to a different provider and keep my number (for sentimental reasons because I've had it for years). O2 is being extremely frustrating.

Message 19 of 21

madasaf1sh
  • 10293 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3025 Solutions

To be honest, @Judette  I have seen this problems on all the UK networks, in other countries, where the company I work for has people roaming not on PAYG mind., just been trying to see if anyone is in ROI to check what network they are roaming on, and no one is over there at the moment. 

I have roamed on Voda and Eir before with both my personal and enterprise sim card...  

If moving provider I would check signal here in the UK, and also there roaming provision as most dont offer free roaming.. 

Unfortunately Roaming is down to the Roaming Partner, and you may experience the same with another network.. ~}

Good Luck

Message 20 of 21