Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG Classic

StupidQuestion
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had a classic 1-2-3 PAYG for about 3 years, in that time I've only used around £12-£13 credit.  I have recently heard of someone being cut off for not topping up within 6 months, and am getting a bit twitchy about possibly losing my number. Can anyone confirm if making occasional calls is still enough to keep my sim active?  Or will my next topup somehow trigger this "new" t&c of having to top up every 6 months?

(I last topped up sometime in 2020, and my phone is still working so far!)

TIA

Message 1 of 28
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@StupidQuestion 

On your tariff, ,one call every 6 months is all that is needed.

The top up requirement is for big bundle tariffs.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@StupidQuestion 

On your tariff, ,one call every 6 months is all that is needed.

The top up requirement is for big bundle tariffs.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 28

StupidQuestion
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Wow, that was quick!  I didn't expect an instant reply - thank you!

I thought that was the case, but just got a bit worried because the post I read (on MSE) said that O2 customer service stated the deactivation was for not topping up, and wouldn't reinstate the number.  Thanks for the reassurance slight_smile

Message 3 of 28

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@StupidQuestion 

It was lucky. I'd just logged in when you posted.

Don't worry about what CS says these days...... They no very little about how O2 works.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 28

StupidQuestion
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks 😊

Message 5 of 28

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

Welcome mate.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 28

Somebodyelse
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

On another website, we've been a bit alarmed by the same thing, the belief being that O2 have changed it to 6 monthly top-ups to avoid losing your number and credit. I know in the past that a chargeable call or text every six months would keep your Sim active, do you know if O2 changed their T&Cs, or is it the same misunderstanding being perpetuated? Reassure me again that it's still one chargeable call or text per six months pleassse!

Message 7 of 28

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@Somebodyelse 

On the classic PAYG you need to make a call at least once every 6 months. A top up is required at least once every 999 days.

No other activity is acceptable - it must be a chargeable call too, ie, no freephone numbers.

On Bundle tariffs you need to top up to make a call as bundles only last for 30 days, hence the requirement is to top up at least once every 6 months to be able to make a call.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 28

Somebodyelse
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much,that has eased my mind considerably. I shall pass on the information to others in our group. Your kindness is appreciated.

Message 9 of 28

StupidQuestion
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ah - I don't think I knew about the 999 day top-up requirement.  I can't remember the exact date I bought my top-up, but I feel like it was probably more than 999 days ago.

(Unless the free £5 bonus credit I got when I registered on the website counts as a top-up?  IIRC, that was a couple of months later.)

Message 10 of 28