Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG Classic in Morocco

Exazet
Level 3: Thinker
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi. I'm off to Morocco in a few weeks and I'm looking into what I should do about phones. I gather Morocco is outside O2's "Inclusive Zone" so it would be eye-wateringly expensive to use my O2 SIM (I'm on the old PAYG Classic tariff) and my best option is probably a local "tourist SIM". We both have dual-SIM phones so that shouldn't be a problem, but would I be at risk of running up charges for *incoming* calls to my O2 SIM if I leave it enabled?

The "Travelling outside our inclusive zone" grid in the Mega Guide seems to indicate that if anyone calls me from the UK it will cost them £1.79 but it will cost me nothing to receive the call. Am I reading that right (and would the caller be warned about the cost)? Presumably it would be a good idea to disable voicemail for the duration in any case...

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144959 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27797 Solutions

@Exazet wrote:

I'm confused about the grid on the Mega Guide though. In its "Travelling outside outside out Inclusive Zone" table the "From our Europe Zone, To Rest of World" box says:

• Making calls £1.79min
  • Receiving calls free

What does that box actually mean?

That box gives the standard rates if you go over the included minutes when using O2 Travel, however, is now irrelevant as there is no longer a 120 min limit.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6777 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1514 Solutions

The caller in the UK does not pay extra.

But there are a number of ways to be caught out. Rejected call that go to answerphone will cost, including those incoming silent spam calls. Your phone connecting to data to update or poll home is another.

If it were me I would switch off the SIM Before leaving and just use WiFi to make calls by the likes of WhatsApp 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 123347 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

@Exazet 

Not good news for PAYG customers in Morocco

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad 

It will cost you to make and receive calls.

You also need 4G calling which isn't available on PAYG.

PAYG Morocco.jpg

You are better off using a local sim. Turning VM off and using Wifi where available

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 6

Exazet
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

OK, thanks. I neither make nor receive many voice calls anyway so turning my O2 SIM off for a week won't be much of a hardship. It would have been nice to leave it on if receiving calls was free, but evidently not.

I'm confused about the grid on the Mega Guide though. In its "Travelling outside outside out Inclusive Zone" table the "From our Europe Zone, To Rest of World" box says:

• Making calls £1.79min
  • Receiving calls free

Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 144959 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27797 Solutions

@Exazet wrote:

• Making calls £1.79min
  • Receiving calls free

That box gives the standard rates if you go over the included minutes when using O2 Travel, however, is now irrelevant as there is no longer a 120 min limit.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

Exazet
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

OK, thanks.

Message 6 of 6