Old PAYG sim card in new phone

FritzCT
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

Hopefully someone can help me out here.

I'm not an O2 customer but my elderly Mum is.  She has a very old PAYG phone & sim. When I say very old I think at least 10 years old, maybe more. The phone is an old flip phone and whilst it works perfectly well for phone calls and texts thats all it can do. It's not even close to being "smart".

So for Christmas I'm thinking of getting my Mum a new phone. There's plenty to chose from but they all seem to take a Nano sim card. Now I've not checked but it's very unlikely she has a Nano sim as I doubt they were even a thing when she got her phone.

So is it possible to get a new nano sim card on PAYG whilst still retaining her old phone number?

Many thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@FritzCT 

Yes it is.

If you can't convert the current sim, any O2 store will replace it for free with a new sim with her number and tariff on it, but yu might want to consider changing the tariff to one with data for use with a smartphone.

You can also call to get one sent out in the post Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@FritzCT 

Yes it is.

If you can't convert the current sim, any O2 store will replace it for free with a new sim with her number and tariff on it, but yu might want to consider changing the tariff to one with data for use with a smartphone.

You can also call to get one sent out in the post Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

FritzCT
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey, many thanks for the quick reply. That's great news.

I know what you mean about the data (I very much doubt her existing deal has any data allowance) but she's 84 and very stuck in her ways.

I was going to set it up with mobile data turned off to start with to gether up and running. She has broadband at home so she can connect via that and if I set preferred calls to internet then it will also solve the problem she has with a bad mobile signal at home.

Once again many thanks for the help

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions
Good plan and you're welcome slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4