Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 blocking my card payments.

Vicksburg
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

What on earth is going on with web top up. I have used web top up for many years without any issues to top up mine and my wife's account until yesterday, when I tried three times with two different cards only to get a message that the payment was blocked and to contact my bank.

We contacted customer services to be told that my bank had blocked the payment, which is ridiculous, I immediately contacted my bank who confirmed there was no issue from their end and it is O2's security that is blocking the payment.  I tried again this morning with the same result and in the end had to use one of my other bank accounts.

I would be grateful if somebody can tell me what on earth is going on because I certainly won't be going through all this hassle every month in future.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10158 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3009 Solutions

@Vicksburg 

You need to request a transaction trace from o2 and see where the issue is, bare in mind this can take 7 days to get and you can provide it to your bank, as your bank will only see a completed transaction, and not a completed authorisation request, the acquirer will.

All o2 will see i one of 3 authorisation responses, Approved, Declined or Code 10 (if a code 10 comes up you basically get flagged for fraud and using a stolen card).. 

Card payment security is set by your bank, and what THEY require from o2 to approve the transaction, so your bank is talking rubbish (no surprises as most banks are incompetent)..  and you may suffer the same with any other network. 

A few tips though that might help.

1. UK Registered cards only are accepted by o2

2. Make sure you are coming from a UK ISP IP Range

3. for SCA make sure your Name and Address match exactly what the bank have. 

Other than that you will be in a bun fight between o2 and the Bank...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 12

Vicksburg
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your response but I still have issues here, my bank told me that I had tried on three occasions to make this payment but it was a "soft" decline from O2, I believe that was the term they used. As to your points regarding cards, ISP's etc, I have been using the same bank on this site for the last eight years without an issue and of course my ISP is in the UK and after all these years I would have to be pretty stupid to be entering incorrect details.

How do I go about requesting a transaction trace? Many thanks.

Message 3 of 12

Vicksburg
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry I forgot that my bank also said that this issue has been appearing recently on other accounts trying to top up on O2.

Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122896 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Vicksburg 

Various other ways to top up here

Guide How to Top Up (PAYG) 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

Vicksburg
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, I know you are only trying to be helpful but I have been with O2 for many years and I am fully aware of the ways to top up. What I am trying to resolve is why O2 have blocked my payment.

Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122896 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Vicksburg 

I have no idea unless there is a problem with the system which is ever likely. No-one will be able to sort it on a Sunday. I just gave you all the ways to top up in case you were out of allowances.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10158 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3009 Solutions

You call o2 on 4445 from your o2 phone. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 12

Vicksburg
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks but I have topped up with another bank account.

Message 9 of 12

Vicksburg
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, but I will go to my local store and get it sorted there.

Message 10 of 12