cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia 2760 - why cannot access gmail INBOX?

foocindy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 29 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a Nokia 2760 flip phone.  If you need more tech specs, please google Nokia 2760 GSM Arena for more specs (thanks for doing this).

I can send email - so I guess I got my pop setting correct.

Settings:

incoming mail (pop) server: pop.gmail.co

requires SSL = yes

port = 995

outgoing mail (smtp) server: smtp.gmail.com

Requires SSL: Yes

Requires TLS: Yes (if available)

Requires Authentication: Yes

Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587

Now I set up as above, when I try to connect, I get error message, "user / password error."

So I tried another setting (found via giffgaff discussion) for incoming mail:

Server: m.google.com
Domain: google (If required)
Security: Enabled, SSL, TLS

When I try to connect, I get error message "cannot connect right now, please try later" .. so its connecting (phew!), and when I check the connection status = it reads "off line".  So how to do I get it online?

So for my hotmail email.  for incoming, I originally had server = pop3.live.com. and I receive the message = "cannot connect right now, please try later".  connection status reads = off line.  so I found a giffgaff discussion and it reads change server to read = m.hotmail.com .... yiippee now I am connected.  so what is wrong with gmail?

thanks

cindy

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144193 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions

Pop is incoming, SMTP is outgoing.
If it's sending your SMTP settings are correct.

Your incoming settings should be....

imap.gmail.com and you need ssl enabled. You will also need to enter your username and password.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 35

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@foocindy I did Google your phone, as you suggested, and I'm curious as to why you're still using it? The phone is eleven years old. If what you're wanting to do is a struggle, wouldn't it be easier to upgrade? A more contemporary phone would give you the Gmail app, which would eliminate the need for all the settings you have to input. Just wondering if a phone that retro is worth all the aggravation?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 35

foocindy
  • 29 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello Bambino, Thank you for your kind thots .. haha yes, it is aggravating.  Its my second (spare) phone where it gives me 12 days of emegency stand by time. most chat person I speak to tells me this phone do not support email ... how little do they know (haha I say that with no malice).  I manage to get hotmail working but not gmail. After 2 weeks of googling for info. I am starting to give up.  This community discussion will be my last attempt --- after that I will give up.

Message 4 of 35

Bambino
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@foocindy Yes the batteries on some of the old phones lasted a good long time, but why would you need 12 days of emergency standby? Are you ever that many days away from a charger?

I'm sure it is possible to get email on that phone if you input the correct PoP and SMTP settings, but it seems like a lot of extra work, particularly when you don't need any of that with a smarter phone.

It's just my opinion, and you're perfectly entitled to try to get it working, but you'd probably be better off just sticking with your old phone for calls and texts, and leave the emails to your more up to date phone.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 35

foocindy
  • 29 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello Bambino, Good advice from yourself - and its the same I gave myself.  To answer why do I still have this phone - becos its a cute!!! phone and I do go camping / rambling / walking a lot - and need for emergencies.  Yes, its a lot of work - then again have you ever had a puzzle which you really really want to solve?  This is one of them.  Also yes... it has taken at least 2 days of my life I cannot get back 🙂 :-).  So if no one else replies that could assist me, I would not try further.  Thank you again. - cindy

Message 6 of 35

MI5
  • 144193 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions

@foocindy did you try the settings I posted above?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 35

Bambino
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@foocindy I found this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-oapps/nokia-2760-why-email-connection-s... Looks like a lot of scrolling through to find a solution.

I also found this, which I think means that even if you sort it out, you will have wasted your time come March next year: https://www.google.com/inbox/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 35

foocindy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 29 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello.  Thank you for assisting.  I will try ASAP - in between cooking dinner.  Give me a mo to get back to you.  I have tried imap instead of pop for inbound earlier.  Let me take a look at it again. - cindy

Message 9 of 35

MI5
  • 144193 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
Don't worry. We can fix this for you when you have time.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 35