Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM needed while keeping old number

PV97
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My very old (2009!) 'dumb' mobile is on O2 'classic Pay As You Go' and is beginning to fail.  I have bought a new SIM-free smart mobile but the old SIM is large, not nano, so I need a new SIM.  I want to stay with O2 and retain the old phone number.  I've been told that I need to change my tariff, so I'm choosing £10 Big Bundle 'PAYG' (I don't anticipate using a lot of data).  When I go through the O2 website to order a new SIM I can't see any option that guarantees I keep the same number.  Does anyone have guidance for me on this, please?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions

@PV97 

There's no need to change tariff at all.

Best way is to pop into your local O2 store, with photo ID, and ask the to do a sim swap to a new triple sim for you, which will retain your number and tariff.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12139 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1128 Solutions

You should visit your local o2 store @PV97 - if you take photo ID they should be able to set you up with a new sim and keep your current tariff.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 11

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10789 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions

Hi there @PV97 

I don't think you have to change your classic PAYGO for another bundle.

All you want is another sim that fits in a new phone.

Classic is not offered now but you can keep what you have. Definitely you can keep your old number.

Don't do anything until you have taken advice and read everything and stay here for help

Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

POP INTO LOCAL STORE FOR A REPLACEMENT SIM

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 11

TallTrees
  • 10789 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions

Hey @PV97 

Let us know all went well for you 😊

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 11

PV97
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @MI5@gmarkj and @TallTrees for rapid replies.  But I've had very little help from visiting local O2 stores, and the 4445 helpline wasn't useful either.  A local O2 store said they 'used to have a guru' who could do what I wanted, but now I'd have to ring 4445 (which had already got me nowhere).  I'll read up on the links you've sent, and re-enter the conversation later.  I don't especially need a tariff that covers many MB of data - I'm happy to use the internet from a PC instead.  So maybe it's a good idea keeping Classic PAYG rather than the newer so-called PAYGs that need topping up monthly; on the other hand with the newer ones I'm sure I'd find benefits of accessing the internet on the move (e.g. real time traffic reports, screenshots rather than printouts of tickets, paying for parking).

Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions

@PV97 

If you do choose to go down the new sim route you can order a free one from here https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go

Then call O2 to migrate your number once you have activated the sim.

Guide: Migration & porting into O2  

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

TallTrees
  • 10789 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Act once think twice 🤔 @PV97 

Used to be that the o2 stores were great and very helpful sorry to hear you're experience isn't so great 😢 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 11

PV97
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for info so far. I've decided to change from O2 CLASSIC PAYG to O2 Big Bundle. I've received and loaded the necessary nano SIM (which came with a new number). I understand from previous replies on this forum that next I should activate the new SIM, and then migrate to keep the old phone number.

One problem is that O2 classifies Big Bundle as a PAYG (even though it isn't really - never mind), and all their online info caters for migrating from PAYG to Pay Monthly, or vice versa, but not migrating from one PAYG to another.

Also, on the day I received my new SIM I was phoned by a helpful O2 representative, and they insisted that I would need to get my PAC code in order to do what I wanted. I had understood that PAC codes needed to be advised if changing between providers, but not if you're staying with O2.

So, any advice please on: how do I specify a change from CLASSIC PAYG to Big Bundle; and do I need a PAC even though I'm staying with O2?

Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions

@PV97 

You just need to migrate your number as per my answer above.

No PAC needed.

Guide: Migration & porting into O2  

Currently using:
Message 10 of 11