Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyO2 and PAYG registration - broken?

magic_mike
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have two new Classic PAYG SIMs here I am trying to set up for elderly family members, and want to register for MyO2 so I can top them up as required for them without needing to have the phone.

Registration of these SIMs with MyO2 seems impossible.

Starting at https://accounts.o2.co.uk/signin there is a link to "register now" but clicking that link takes you to https://accounts.o2.co.uk/register which says:

https://imgur.com/a/dQEXIVA

(despite the imgur warning it's just a screenshot of the o2 website)

which is of no help in registering a PAYG SIM.

Calls to customer services result in me either being trying to be upsold to a contract  - thanks but that's not the answer I was looking for - or being put on hold for 20+ minutes then the call mysteriously dropping, possibly because the problem falls into the "too hard to fix" bucket.

Am I being really dumb or is this just not working?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6616 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

You say these are NEW Classic PAYG.

From where did you get them?

Are they Presently working?

Classic PAYG was discontinued some time ago.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 13

magic_mike
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, they're both activated and working fine.

That they are on the Classic tariff isn't really the key issue, if you can find anywhere on O2's web site where you can register any PAYG SIM for MyO2 I will be eternally grateful - as far as I can see the website (or app, which is just a front end for the website) just sends you round in circles...

Message 3 of 13

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36005 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

Official word here @magic_mike - https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/register-for-my-o2

If you're a Pay As You Go customer, you'll need to register using:

• your O2 mobile number
  • an email address
  • a secure password

Otherwise it is a call to O2 CS on 4445 at about 08:10am, or reach out to O2 on Social Media at the link just below. Good luck.

Message 4 of 13

fowlerluke2023
  • 37 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

the o2 site is definitely acting strange, it is a recent fault because i was able to register my classic o2 sim card a few weeks ago

Message 5 of 13

fowlerluke2023
  • 37 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

fault.JPG

Message 6 of 13

fowlerluke2023
  • 37 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

it is like the creation of new o2 accounts has been disabled

Message 7 of 13

magic_mike
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the replies - yep @fowlerluke2023 that's the screenshot I see too, which makes the official instructions entirely useless.

I'll try and raise O2 on Twitter, CS have not been able to help in the multiple times I've called them. They try and take an email address then give various excuses as to why it's not working to get you off the phone.

Thanks for confirming it's not just me, will report back.

Message 8 of 13

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5764 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@magic_mike 

@fowlerluke2023 

There seems to be quite a few aspects of O2 that are broken at the moment - many relating to the creation of accounts, billing issues and the like. 

Please let us know how you proceed @magic_mike and whether the issue is resolved.  

Message 9 of 13

magic_mike
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

An update (which is no update) - I've poked O2 on Twitter a couple of times and they say the issue is being "looked into".

I'd agree with @Oxonian there's a bigger problem with O2 online account management at the moment...

Message 10 of 13