cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data in Europe

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an iphone 6. I have been abroad to Germany, for 3 days and Spain for 1. each time I do not have an data. I know it says 'UK data use will be updated within 30 minutes. Data used in our Europe Zone may take up to 24 hours. Minutes and texts in the UK and our Europe Zone usually update within 24 hours but international calls may take longer.' But evenafter 3 days I had nothing. 

Does this mean I have to wait for 24 hours before I can use data abroad?

I also have been told that 4G does not work abroad and to turn it off.

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Firstly, 4g should work in Germany and also possibly in Spain.
Your problem is most likely the wrong data package on your account.
Go into your network settings and change your apn to “mobile.o2.co.uk” save and restart your phone then try using data again.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Go into your network settings and change your apn to “mobile.o2.co.uk” save and restart your phone then try using data again.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5wrote:

Quite ridiculous that this happens constantly with O2 iphones when used abroad. I doubt this happens with any other network..My son has an iPhone 6, is with EE and is currently in Goa. He didn't have to change anything when he landed. Switched phone on and away he went

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Assuming that this fixes your data abroad issue, you will, when back home, have to call customer services to have the data bolt on changed on your account.
You will need to ask them to switch your data package to iData for iPhone, then switch your apn back to "idata.o2.co.uk"

Currently using:
Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Cleoriffwrote:

Quite ridiculous that this happens constantly with O2 iphones when used abroad. I doubt this happens with any other network..My son has an iPhone 6, is with EE and is currently in Goa. He didn't have to change anything when he landed. Switched phone on and away he went

There is a reason for this - not an excuse, but a reason......

Currently using:
Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5wrote:

@Cleoriffwrote:

There is a reason for this - not an excuse, but a reason......

Whatever the reason Rich, it's a damn good job people think of coming to the forum to ask. I feel sorry for those that don't.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
We’re spreading the word as best we can.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

ElaGirl
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 41 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I know this may be a silly question but will I be charged the same by O2 for roaming if I set my iPhone to receive 2G or 3G opposed to 4G data?

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
There is no additional charge for data use in Europe so it makes no difference which type of connection you use.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 12

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous can you confirm if the above advice helped with your issue? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 12