Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing my phone but staying with O2

johne53
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My mobile phone is over 10 years old and it's long overdue for replacing. I'm looking at the new Galaxy Z Fold 2 from Samsung - but AFAICT O2 only offer this phone as part of an ongoing contract. I've only ever been on PAYG so a couple of questions:-

1) If I bought this on a 36 month contract including calls & data etc - who owns the phone at the end of the contract?

2) Alternatively, if I bought a cheaper (unlocked) one - for example a refurb - would O2 accept it as a replacement for my existing phone and continue letting me have a SIM only deal?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

johne53
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Wow, it looks like I managed it !!

With my older Android version I needed to export my contacts to a file (".vcp" file maybe??) and then import from that file - but it seems to have worked okay!!

Message 11 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145008 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
.vcf file, but yes, that's an option if it hasn't backed up automatically.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 16

johne53
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I went into my local O2 shop yesterday and asked about the Samsung Galaxy Fold 2 - but apparently they don't sell this model in-store. It's only available online.

But if I'm reading it correctly, I can trade in my existing phone and get a discount if I purchase from O2. So how does a trade-in work if the purchased phone is only available online?? Would I need to get it delivered to the local O2 store and then take my existing phone into them when picking up the new one?

Message 13 of 16

MI5
  • 145008 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions

@johne53 

You can post your phone to O2 recycle to get a trade in value.

I did a write up recently when I upgraded https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/O2-upgrade-Experience/td-p/1460941

O2 recycle site here https://www.o2recycle.co.uk/

You can also recycle on the high street at places such as CEX etc.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 16

johne53
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can I ask what's meant by a "Recycle Offer" for some of the O2 phone deals? AFAICT they're cheaper phones but with a shorter warranty (and poss pre-used phones?)

Message 15 of 16

MI5
  • 145008 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions

It means you can recycle your phone with O2 and get money off your monthly payments.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 16