Did you mean: 

Best option to top up sim for use in Ireland

Freshmeat
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

I am planning on using an O2 sim solely for occasional use traveling to the Republic of Ireland. I am going to buy a new pay as you go O2.co.uk sim. What's the most cost effective plan that would allow me to receive calls from a UK landline and mobile to my new UK sim card whilst I am in Rep. Ireland?

I am not really looking at a monthly plan, just a simple solution where I can top up as I need but not get bled dry for minute charges.

So, if I top up by 10 GBP what would I be paying per minute for an incoming call?

What about sending a text?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Freshmeat 

With O2, you just choose a bundle which lasts for 1 month.

Allowances are included in each bundle and details are here https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Freshmeat 

ROI is in EU so you can use allowances as you would at home currently.

The only limitation is 25gb of data use. 

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/other-numbers-and-charges/price-changes-europe-zone-fa...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

Freshmeat
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for this. As work provide me with a phone I don't really know what the PAYG rates are. Can you help me figure out what the per minute rate will cost me so as I can have an idea what I'll need to top up the phone with when I'm in Ireland. Thank you!

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Freshmeat 

With O2, you just choose a bundle which lasts for 1 month.

Allowances are included in each bundle and details are here https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

Freshmeat
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So 10 quid will get me unlimited texts and unlimited minutes. As I am roaming in Ireland, that's still going to be unlimited then is that right? if the kids were to phone me and I was talking with them for an 20 minutes, then this suggests I'll not incur any costs as I'm on the unlimited minutes plan.

Am I right here? @MI5 thanks for the help 

Message 5 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Freshmeat 

It wont cost you as its an EU Country and its free to receive calls no matter what tariff you are on.  

So it costs you nowt to ring them and nowt for them to ring you. slight_smile

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 9

Freshmeat
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Wow that's a great deal. Exactly what I'm looking for. I can top it up as I need to and not need to worry about over spending on the minutes and not have to use the work phone for personal calls.

Nice job thanks mate.

Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Freshmeat 

No cost at all when roaming in EU.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35209 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Do check when you land in Ireland, @Freshmeat, that you have correct APN - no problem with my O2 contract phone in Ireland when roaming, but younger daughter's O2 PAYG phone kept giving problems when trying to make a voice call, despite data working fine when she was in Limerick recently. Have seen other reports here of similar, could be a 5G vs 4G, or even a 4G to 3G  thing too, or the fact O2 Ireland sold out to Three a while back:

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/ireland-to-escape-new-uk-mobile-roaming-charges-40579...

Message 9 of 9