Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All phone calls are silent on both ends

SS3
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Every phone call I make or receive is completely silent on both ends. Not distortion or static, just silence - I can't hear them and they can't hear me. This is the case when calling different people, when calling from different locations, when using speakers, etc. It's only for phone calls and not for WhatsApp, FaceTime, or any other form of audio call. All other audio from my phone is working normally, as are texts. My balance is topped up. I've had this issue for several weeks and Apple says it's a problem with the Sim card, according to a diagnostics test. I have an iPhone XS Max.

This is becoming extremely inconvenient since the only medical appointments I've been able to get are phone appointments and I've already missed one because the doctor couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear him. A fast resolution would be very helpful.

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@SS3 

Lots of 0800 numbers to try here but many others have called using Skype without issues.

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@SS3 

Pop into your local O2 store with photo ID and they'll swap your sim free of charge.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 15

SS3
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I won't have a chance to visit an O2 store before my next appointment so I've texted 'SWAP' to 20220 and they've informed me that my new sim will be active soon. I guess that means they're sending me a new one?

Message 3 of 15

MI5
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@SS3 

Check your MyO2 for an esim.

If O2 send you a new sim they will switch off your old one first, so you'll be without any service until the new sim arrives, hence the advice to do it there and then in store.

esim install.jpg

Currently using:
Message 4 of 15

SS3
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry, where exactly is this page? My 'My O2' page looks like this. I can't find anything along the lines of 'Install your sim'.

SS3_0-1713195123232.png

Message 5 of 15

MI5
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@SS3 

Looks like you're still on the old system so you won't have that option yet.

You'll know if a new sim is on the way to you as your old soim will be turned off when they process the order.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 15

SS3
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The old system...? Is the system changing?

As long as a new sim arrives by the end of Wednesday, I'll be fine, but I'm not sure if texting 'SWAP' requests a new sim or not and I haven't found a clear answer. The automated texts read more to me like O2 thinks I already have a new sim. Obviously I can't call them and ask so I'm really not sure what's going on.

Message 7 of 15

MI5
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@SS3 

I don't think it will work as you need a new sim to swap to using that method.

If you can't get in store, call or contact O2 to send you one Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Currently using:
Message 8 of 15

MI5
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

Details here on the system changes https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/O2-System-Updates-360/m-p/1598402#M39424

Currently using:
Message 9 of 15

SS3
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I can't call O2 - that's the issue - and most of those contact methods seem to be outdated. The live chat isn't a thing anymore, I don't think. I've messaged them on Instagram and if that doesn't work then I'll use someone else's phone to call them when I get the chance.

Message 10 of 15