Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G sim card

steve61
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can i get a 5G sim card for my PAYG phone number to replace my current sim card?

If so,how do i get one,as i've never seen 5G on it since i bought it

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6807 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

5G, Volte and WiFi Calling are not presently available to PAYG customers.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Enlli
  • 6807 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

5G, Volte and WiFi Calling are not presently available to PAYG customers.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 9

MartW
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I wouldn't bother anyway, O2's 5G speeds are barely up to 3G standard anyway. I'm getting about 5Mbps indoors and 20 outside, my brother on EE is getting 300Mbps indoors.

I wish I had changed network provider before getting my new contract, should have gone with EE

Message 3 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10290 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3024 Solutions

@MartW 

Just because where you are in Coventry isn't good, doesnt mean everywhere is the same.. 

And as I said in your other rant, depending on how your house is built, and I will assume brick or stone, the Radio Waves are not good at penetrating the walls, its called the laws of physics, and hanging out of a window is not outdoors...

I happily get 300Mbps on o2 where I am on 5G and half the speed on EE so your comment is based on one location 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 9

Enlli
  • 6807 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

Without going into complicated technical reasons we don't have full blown 5G in the UK that needs to be delivered from dedicated masts with dedicated backhaul etc and Is known as 5G Stand Alone. Our 5G still relies on connections to 4G. That nice tall mast will be linked to a number of 4G masts. Indeed 5G may be delivered from a repurposed mast that still has 4G. Add to this the list of frequently being applied to 5G and we can end up with no two areas the same!

When I go to the local supermarket it is on the very edge of a 5G area. My phone displays 5G but it is shown in a clear box. That means the phone is connected to a 4G cell associated with 5G.

Walk quater of a mile and the box will turn black with 5G written in white, now I'm on a 5G cell.

Personally I couldn't care what it says on my phone's display, I care if I have enough data capacity to do what I want in that place.

Forget the 5G hype you read in the press, that 5G is years off. For now it's what I call Faux 5G

Message 5 of 9

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36535 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1624 Solutions

@Enlli wrote:

For now it's what I call Faux 5G

Or "4.5G"? 🤣

Message 6 of 9

Mart_W
  • 17 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for that, better than the patronising reply from madfish above. I'm paying good money for this service and I'm not even getting 3G speeds. I tested earlier today and got 5Mbps down and 0.4 upload. It's not usable like that.

O2 should be embarrassed by that.

Message 7 of 9

Mart_W
  • 17 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't need your patronising reply. You might be happy with your service; I'm not happy with my barely 3G speeds, and condescending responses won't improve that. My money is as good as anyone else's, and I should be getting a service that is vaguely aligned with what is advertised. 3G speeds are not that!

Message 8 of 9

Enlli
  • 6807 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

O2 should be embarrassed, but they're not it seems.

Today Vodafone turned of two 3G areas. The 2100Mhz 3G frequency was repurposed for 4G last year. The now released 900Mhz is going for 5G. 

Similar going on with EE and Three. Not heard a peep out of O2. Many areas haven't even got 4G+

Years behind

Message 9 of 9